Boer Goat Question

Discussion in 'Goats' started by effboergoats, Dec 3, 2006.

1. effboergoats

effboergoats Well-Known Member

Hi everybody!!

I've got a question for all you goat experts. I have a 4 year old registered Full blooded Boer buck that I would like to use for stud service ( so I can earn some extra cash so that I can buy the Boer does) My question is what would be a fair price to charge?? I know someone will ask this so his Bloodlines are: On his father's side is the Bodacious Bloodline ( Bodacious Hunk, Bodacious Blast, Bodacious Zippo, Bodacious Nico) and on his mother's side is Mojo Magic . Any one have any thoughts?

2. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

It really depends on how his kids have done already. Have they been shown? Has he? Has he been appraised by a judge?

I have a buckling that is 6 months old. He is awesome looking. He has great bloodlines. But without some accolades of his own, his stud price is ridiculously low.

Bloodlines don't mean anything unless your buck can guarantee he'll pass them on.

You can buy straws of semen online, from some of the greatest bucks in history, for like $20. A live breeding wouldn't be worth much more than that.

3. Kathy'sKID

Kathy'sKID Kelly in Nebraksa

We usually charge 10% of the bucks value for stud serves, have the does over to our place and charge a $1.00 per doe a day, for feed and board, until the job is done. So if our buck is worth $250, we'd charge $25 for stud, per doe (+ $1.00 per day per doe). Prices are usually lower for unproven bucks, and sometimes we'll discount on larger numbers of does. A fellow nearby goat breeder we know does the same. Of corse, these are papered goats that throw kids with good show quality.

4. YzOldOwl

YzOldOwl New Member

I have a Bodacious-bred buck as well: Bodacious Joe. Don't remember if his registration was IBGA or USBGA. Lost his registration paper. Since IBGA shut down obviously I can't get any info from there. I want to sell this buck as he produces mostly doe kids and we need buck kids for 4H youth. Help? TIA!

Joyce in SE Ohio