Boer Goat Question

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Bluebutterfly, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Bluebutterfly

Bluebutterfly Well-Known Member

My Boer doe is about 1 yr and3 mo. old. We keep her in a paddock with our neighbors goats until we purchase a few. We don't want her to be alone in our barn and we don't intend to get anymore goats until Spring time.

Anyways.. there are 61 goats in the paddock.. all Boers. That is our 1 goat and the neighbors 60 Boer Does all together.

Next to the paddock with all of the Does resides 2 very big Boer Bucks.
    About a month ago both of these bucks knocked down the fence and joined the Boer Does on their side. Our goat was in their as well so......
    Here is my issue...

A month has passed by and now our does' belly is looking a bit more rounded, fuller, quite larger then it was before those bucks got in.

How can I tell if my goat is pregnant or bloated?

I never expected my doe to get pregnant yet.. but it would be a nice surprise!

Any help would be much appreciated. :cowboy:

Bluebutterfly

2. HunterTed

HunterTed Rockin B Farm

Well if she is 1 year and 3 months old she is most definately old enough to be bred. The only way that I have heard of to check them (unless you take them to the vet) is to stand behind them, grab their belly with your hands locked together and lift up. You should be able to feel one or two hard spots and that is the babies. Good luck, maybe someone else has a better way than me. I don't think that your doe is far enough along to tell anything yet. I usually can't feel anything till they are at least 3 months bred.

3. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

I don't know if you can tell if she would only be one month pregnant, maybe you could ask neighbor to let her in with the bucks just in case, I agree babies are ALWAYS a nice suprise.