Boer Doe

Discussion in 'Goats' started by TSYORK, Nov 24, 2006.

1. TSYORK

TSYORK Jhn Boy ina D Trump world

I ended up betting a boer doe that's six years old for hardly nothing, so I bought her. I've had her for a few months, but I can't tell when she's in heat, even if she is. Could it be that this doe is too old to cycle? I would love your input.

2. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

We have a boer girl that's 8 I believe, and she hasn't been pregnant in a year, she's a BIG girl, we don't know when or if she goes in heat, my philosophy is, she's old and sweet, she gave us a pretty little girl last year, if she gets pregnant so be it, but I'd be just as happy to put her out to pasture if she can't get pregnant. She might be too old, but it seems that with our older does, you can't see when their in heat, is she next to the buck, so he can tell you when she is? Good Luck. Bye.

3. dennisjp

dennisjp dennisjp

I am trying to learn about animals from this forum and some things get said that confuse me. For a while, I thought a boer doe was a female goat, which I still think. But there was a thread about a boer doe that was a sheep.
    Would someone straighten me out on this?
    God Bless
    Dennis

4. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

Boer is a breed of goat
    Doe is the proper term for a female goat..also called a nanny
    Buck is the proper term for a male goat..also called a billy
    Wether is the term for a castrated male goat

Ewe is the proper term for a female sheep
    Ram is for a male sheep
    Wether same as above

hope this helps clear it up for you

5. mammawof3

mammawof3 Well-Known Member

6 seems awfully young to be "non-breeding". I have does kid at 10-the litters usually get smaller after about 8 years though. If a doe gets extremely fat-and-or-remains not bred for a few years-it makes it harder for them to conceive. But to say, 6 is beyond breeding age, i would say no.

6. dennisjp

dennisjp dennisjp

Thanks suzy, maybe I just misunderstood something someone else said about the one I thought was a sheep. :rolleyes:

7. chris30523

chris30523 Well-Known Member

I have boers and two of my does are very hard to tell if they are in heat.In fact I cant tell.I wait until everyone else is bred and then put these two in with the buck and let him tell.It worked the first year on both but last year only one ended up pregnant.However this year the one that was not pregnant last year let us know she was in heat. :shrug: