Boer doe not feeling well

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Karenrbw, Nov 24, 2006.

1. Karenrbw

Karenrbw Well-Known Member Supporter

I have an 18 month old Boer doe that is bred. I noticed that she is carrying her tail down and not acting like she feels great. Upon closer examination, we discovered she looks irritated on her vulva. She has several yellowish crusty sores between her anus and vulva and her vulva is slightly swollen and looks a little inflamed. She is eating well, but just isn't herself. Betty will be taking a ride to the vet Monday to have him check her out. Our large animal vet is not a goat expert, but tries hard. I know it isn't sore mouth and DH suggested a yeast infection. Any ideas? I would like to go to the vet with an idea. She was born here and bred by a buck that we raised. No one else in the herd is showing any of these signs and we have't brought any new goats onto the property in several years. She is bred for early spring babies (probably 6 weeks along.

Help?!?

2. HappyFarmer

HappyFarmer Well-Known Member

Staphylococcal Dermatitis??? Not really sure but this is the closest I found.

Multiple lesions may apear on teats, udder, perineum, or underside of the tail.
    It can be primary or secondary. Penicillan treatment for 1-2 weeks.

Lesions should be handled with gloves.
    HF

3. HappyFarmer

HappyFarmer Well-Known Member

How did Betty make out at the vet? Is she feeling better?