Boer Buck

Discussion in 'Goats' started by effboergoats, Dec 21, 2006.

1. effboergoats

effboergoats Well-Known Member

Ok, so I am just getting into Boers. For the past 9 years the only goats I have owned are Pygmy goats. I only have 2 left.(1 buck,1 doe). I have my alpine doe and am in the process (within a few weeks I hope) of buying a few boer does and or milk goats. :shrug: I just wanted to post a few Pics. and see what the Goat World on here thinks about my Boer Buck. He is 100%, and registered and comes from great bloodlines. I have seen his kids and he throws some great looking babies. Ok anyway here he is
    Autumn's Bodacious Bandito.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j140/dougie03/Bandito/critters086.jpg
    http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j140/dougie03/Bandito/critters087.jpg
    http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j140/dougie03/Bandito/critters089.jpg
    http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j140/dougie03/Bandito/LittleJoe028.jpg
    http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j140/dougie03/Bandito/Bandito.jpg

2. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

How old is he? He looks like a nice heavy guy. No butt shots, so I can't be sure, but it looks like he might need a little more butt on him. Nice shoulders, good topline, good head. Gentle eyes. He doesn't have the desired amount of color on his head....in fact, I know with some registries, you aren't supposed to register bucks with that little color on their head. :shrug: But he's a nice looking guy in all. Oughta throw you some nice kids. He looks happy. :)

3. effboergoats

He just turned 4 years old last month. I can't seem to ever get any butt shots of him. Ever time I walk behind him he turns to me to get his head scratched, but you are right he does need more butt on him. I wish he had more color on his head but that is what he has. Oh his papers the original breeder (not the guy i bought him from) listed his color as: White, red head blaze, left ear white. My plan for the moment is to use him to get some kids on the ground to sell. There is a BIG BIG demand for goat meat in our area and not enough people to provide it. So i'm hoping he can help with that and use the money to get my herd built up and add some color.

4. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

I tried to load the other photos and they wouldn't load.. HUmm but the last ones did.

Sorry, the page you requested was not found on the first page
    Done the same on second link and 3rd link but the 4th and 5th didn't give no troubles.

5. ozark_jewels

He ought to certainly do that! :) If you have to sell the meat kids through auctions, you will get more for them if they have a good red head. But you know, I've seen bucks with just a little more color on his head than yours and they threw really good colored up kids. You might be surprised! :)

6. effboergoats

try it now I had moved the pics. and it broke the link. :shrug:

7. effboergoats

I hope so. I wanted one with the traditonal red head but I couldn't find one I could afford close by. Then I found this beauty and fell in love. The guy I got him from sold this buck because he wanted fresh blood lines and he didn't want inbreeding going onin his herd. But after he sold me this goat and bought his new buck, the new one had no intrest in breeding. He said he could care less about the does. :shrug: Oh one other thing the majorty of his kids that i have seen (my buck) and have been told about do have a lot of color. He breed my alpine on Oct. 9 so I hope to have my first boer cross baby or babies soon.

8. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

color helps in some circles just cause folks dont know no better sometimes but what is important is his conformation, and what he produces meat wise,

he is a nice looking animal but when you get does to breed to him you need to get does that are strong in the areas he is lacking, ie: you need to get WIDE and LONG does, he is a little narrow and compact in the loin, he will undoughtedly produce some nice kidds to send to market and get you started but still look for nice wide and long does regardless, they will help balance his short commeings and when you have made enough to upgrade and get a better buck your doe herd will be even better suited.

i would keep the BEST of his daughters and get them registerd, but i think you might have to get his papers transferd into your name first?? not sure, but i would keep only his best and meatyest daughers and work up,
    find a Buck from the EGGS line or Sasquatch, or anything else with good width and length,

9. effboergoats

He is narrow in the loin. I don't have any clue what his mother looked like but if I can find the website of the original breeder i'll post it so ya'll can see his father: Bodacious Nico. On his sires side is all the Bodacious line, with Bodacious Hunk being his great-great grandsire. His dams side, all i know is Mojo magic is in there somewhere. As far as his papers I had those transferd into my name when I bought him.

10. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

thoughs are SUPPOSED to be really good lines, dont know why he turnd out narrow and short (from head to tail)
    but like i said get some does to counter ballance his weak points, and Keep the BEST daughters, then find a better buck when you can

11. ozark_jewels

Even the best lines can come out with total duds at times. And he is not that by any means. EVERY goat has at least one fault. The trick is to counter-balance faults when breeding. Just be sure to do that, and I'm sure you'll get nice kids. :)

12. effboergoats

Thank you all. I have spent the last 1-1/2 years looking and researching Boer goats and when this guy offered me this one I couldn't pass up on the price ($350) or the goat for that matter. Even if it doesn't work out the way I hope he still has made my world a little brighter and happier just by being a part of my life and that is worth more than any amount of money. Now if he didn't stink so bad. :angel:

13. needstoknowmore

needstoknowmore Rattlin Rock Ranch

I borrowed a buck this year. A boer, not perfect nor papered. But he is such a sweet guy, needs some TLC. And his aroma is not overwhelming, so he is staying!!!! :)

14. ozark_jewels

Boer bucks stink much less during rutt than dairy bucks in my experience......but Pygmy bucks are some of the stinkiest! :p

15. effboergoats

I have to agree. My very first goat was a little white pygmy billy that my momma bought me when I was in the 8th grade. (Sadly he died about 4-1/2 years ago but I still have one of his daughters at the farm right now.) But anyhow, when compared to my boer buck both the pygmy buck that is dead and the one I have now both stink a lot worse than my Boer. That pygmy billy that my momma bought me, well i sold him right before he died (snake bite at the new place) this farm smelled like him 6 months after he left.