% boer buck question

Discussion in 'Goats' started by mberryrfd, Apr 24, 2006.

1. mberryrfd

mberryrfd Well-Known Member

It seems to me that a intact % boer buck is basically kinda useless around here and I am curious about the other markets. The one we had could be registared at 50% even though he is a bit higher than that. the mother isnt regisaterd but is a % boer herself.
    just looking for feed back
    thanks

2. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

We butcher all of our % Boer bucks even though they are absolutely gorgeous. I am sure there are people around who would love them for breeding animals but why flood the market with less than 100% stock when relatively few bucks are needed fpr breeding compared to does. We have a 4 month old buck right now who is big and strapping and shiney and slick who is destined for the freezer. Every time i look at him i think of how I would have loved to had had him in the past for a breeding animal, before I was able to aquire his daddy. But there is just no reason to raise so many non-fullblood bucks to keep around for breeding. face it, Boers turn into beautiful animals, but their purpose is for meat. if you do not put them in your own freezer, then let someone else.

3. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Around here, he would go in my freezer or someone elses. I do have one Purebred Boer doe and one FullBlood that I sell bucklings out of, but the rest of the bucklings all go to slaughter, no matter how handsome they are. I see no reason to sell percentage bucks. :shrug: Just my opinion...... :)

4. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Actually, there might be a small market for percentage bucks to those of us who would like to develop forage-based goat dairies. (See the thread of the same name.) The bucks would have to be out of carefully selected parents in order to be useful to dairy breeders -- lines with good udders and feet, easy keepers and easy kidders, decent milkers. But I would like to have a percentage Boer buck available to breed to my half Boer, half Oberhasli doe (preferably with the same background she has -- I like the Oberhasli in her). And to breed to her 3/4 Oberhasli daughter.

Kathleen

5. stanb999

stanb999 Well-Known Member

See, I would love to buy a percentage buck with good traits. My intention for breeding is to make boer/nubian crosses. So the price asked for the 100% buck is well let me say it.... Far from reality. I've seen them going for upwards of 700.00 dollars. For a meat operation this makes little sense. Now if you were breeding "show" stock. this is ok but sales will be limited.

6. Ires

Ires New Member

Hi
    I love the look of the boers and the hardiness of the kiko. The best %50 boer/kiko bucks are used by some of us to produce "genemaster" type goats.

The boki bucks make good heardsires for a variety of reasons - for commercial production they are a great choice. You can be very choosy and find a buck of a quality that would be out of your price range if he were %100. If you are producing kids for the terminal market you don't need traditional boer coloring; they did demand a premium to begin with (at least in our market) but the growing popularity of colored boers has done away with the perception that all good meat goats have red heads.

7. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

I never mind seeing a buck hit the ground. Its money. I would think in New Mexico..you would be able to hit the meat market pretty good.

Also..ya don't need registerd stock to make great meat babies. I am sure that is not a popular stance..but it is my belief.

I had six bucks born in the winter. Two went for breeding..with no papers..they were 3/4 boer and 1/4 nubian. For breeding does to make meat babies...they are gonna be burners..why? cause the buck they are out of chunks babies and the mommas are out of a good dairy line.

The other four went for meat. I might add all were within about 7.50 of making me the same amount of money.

Again..I love my bucklings hitting the ground.

8. ozark_jewels

Well, I sell my Purebred Boer bucklings(yes, they are papered) for $150 at weaning age. My FB bucklings will be more like $200. I don't show. I know what my budget is like and I don't want to knock someone out of the running by charging prices they can't afford. $150-$200 is not that much to pay for a good breeding buck....So I am not talking charging bookoo bucks here. I am just talking about selling only the BEST as bucks. If you have a really AWESOME percentage buck...and that is what someone really wants...not a thing wrong with selling him as a herdsire. But most of the percentages are not as good as I like a herdsire to be. So my percentages go in the freezer. Its a sure market and I don't have to take the time to market them as bucks. The problem with using percentage bucks as herdsires is the chances are pretty good that *some* of his kids will show throwback traits to his dairy blood. Not a good thing IF you are breeding for meat. Of course, I am discussing Boer/dairy percentages, not Boer/Spanish or Boer/Kiko. I have no personal experience with them, so will not comment.

9. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

the buck is quite litterally HALF your heard, and if your makeing what is basically a "copy of a copy" your loosing quality, now if all you want is a buck to breed so that your does freshin and you dont care what the kids are like and will just eat what ever you get then thats fine and you can use any ol buck you want, but if your breeding for the best possible Meat Goats, or Dairy goats, or any other kind of goats they you should only use the Best possible buck available, people who use percentage bucks of any variety and then sell bucklings aswell from this percentage mix breed buck just adds to the amount of excess close to worthless animals, its not going to get your herd any closer to your goal you will just get more of the same, and probably more of a lesser quality.
    you can find good quality purebred/full blood breeding bucks for anywhere from 150 to 1500, you just got to know what to look for and where to look, and not be afraid to save up and spend good money because you will get what you pay for.

10. justgojumpit

justgojumpit Well-Known Member

At some point, you also need to look at how long it will take for the better genetics to pay off for the higher costs of those genetics. May work well for someone with 25 goats, but not for someone with 5. Just thought I'd thow that out there...

justgojumpit

11. ozark_jewels

Another reason I use registered FB bucks(or Purebred if we are talking dairy) is that I KNOW whats behind them. I can look back generations in their background and see who and what their great-grandparents were. I have way to much invested in my stock to breed them to an inferior buck, so I want to KNOW what I'm breeding my girls to. I will work with inferior does, you can always breed their offspring up, but bucks that are less than the best go straight down the road. I can't afford to buy a doe that costs $500, but I have gladly paid that for a GOOD buck. I have gotten some really great buys on bucks for much less than that as well, not saying I haven't. Anyway, in my round about way, I am trying to say that you should ALWAYS buy the best buck you can afford that fits your needs. :nerd:

12. PLPP

PLPP Boer Lover

I like the percentages myself, they tend to do very well at the 4-H shows and I really like them, send him to me :)

13. mberryrfd

mberryrfd Well-Known Member

OOOPSI already have a FB ( and he was a lot more than $200 )
    Just kinda looking at ideas for the buck that was born over the weekend

14. ozark_jewels

Yeah, these threads just tend to go in all directions. :)

15. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

clip him and put him in the freezer

16. ozark_jewels

A goat that shows well and a goat that is good for breeding purposes are two different matters......I love the Boer percentages too. That is almost all I have in Boer stock. I just don't sell percentage bucks as breeding stock.

17. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

I've sold high percentage bucklings to people who want to breed for meat, but don't want to spend alot and don't care about papers. Most, however, go for meat as I wether most of the Boer and dairy bucklings born at my place. Some are lucky and are bought as pet wethers.

18. PLPP

PLPP Boer Lover

I guess it is different in different states, the percentages always sold better to the 4-H kids and the meat people for breeding.

19. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

I have noticed that here too. I almost think it is because the percentages are a smidge taller than the fullbloods. And when you pack the meat on them..they just look a bit more impressive to the meat growers/buyers.

And when you are selling the does..I think people who are buying them for breeding stock like the idea of having a bit larger bag and more milk for the kids.

Just my thoughts and observations.