Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Domestic Engineer
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ate my cat in the middle of a field next to our house midafternoon. Found where it had been bedding down. Small cove of trees/shrubs about 20 feet from there with grass all tramped down. 3rd family cat in 3 weeks - 2 of them mine. All we found was her front legs. Think the man mowing next doors scared whatever away.

But are now worried as our landlord has let the weeds grow all around his metal shed next to our house. Too much junk and scrap metal in there for me to mow. But it is 20 feet from where our kids have to play.

What might I be dealing with? I live in NE KS and there has been confirmed sightings of a ML here. My mom had something run across the road in front of her about 3 weeks ago. Just east of our place. She said it had the bobtail, but was HUGE like a ML.

·
Domestic Engineer
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh and when I walked back in that area the smell of dead rotten flesh was overwhelming! The field is just calf to knee high grass.

We also had a dear torn apart last spring on the other side of the field.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
If you can find any footprints that will help with knowing its size. The bobcat that has been through our yard is about the size of a 50lb dog. Deer would most likely be cougar or coyotes.

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,654 Posts
Mountain lions (cougars) will cover their kills and come back to them.. Id stay away from that area for quite a while. I think the Bobcat would be more likely to attack a housecat though

·
Domestic Engineer
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bearfoot farm - It is right next to my house! I can see it out the door. My kids play right next to it! I have some larger kids - but also my nieces and nephew. They are 20lbs or less!

Thank you AR Cattails! She would jump up on my lap at night when the kids were in bed. It is a lonely night!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Alot of sympathy here. My Parrott had its wing torn off by a raccoon several weeks back. Your children may be in danger. Waiting till they are hurt would not be an option in my book. Invest in a game camera. About 80-100 bucks for the cheap ones. Bait out and see wha happens. No money?, get some play sand. Spread it about two inches thick in a five foot circle and place a can of tuna or sardines in the center. Come back later to see the tracks. Call your game and wildlife department. They will help for free. I now say this dear lady with no malice. I know you miss your pet. How much would you miss your child? Take action. Keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
Poor little cat; I'd keep all pets and children safely inside until this is handled. How horrible to just find parts of a pet... *shudder*.
Maybe bring in a live trap, too... can't get much better of a positive ID than that. I know some people use live bait if they think it's a cat, like a chicken or something if they've tried and failed to catch the animal with other methods, and it's a danger to humans.
Hopefully it's just a coyote or small bobcat, but honestly I'd keep the bigger kids inside too, just in case it's a cougar.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Not that I have ever done this, but roadkilled domestic cats are the bobcat trappers choice bait. Sounds like you are dealing with a bobcat. But there have been many confirmed sightings of cougars in northeast ks by many people that I know, and I saw one near clifton, ks, so I know they are around. Sorry you lost your friend.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Go to the animal shelters and look for a kid friendly, medium to large dog that has a decent herd or prey drive.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
One thing about it if a Bobcat mistakes a Human for prey,once they find it is Human they will run.Seen this happen many times.

Now with a Mountain Lion if they decide you are prey they don't change their mind that easy you are prey no matter what. :shrug:

big rockpile

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
land owners need to take back the land. we around here kill all bob cats, cougars and cyotes we see

the DNR has lost our respect, and for good reason

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
pet cats are coyotes favorite snacks. sorry for your loss.

y'know, when you move to the country, you have moved into THEIR territory. why in the world would you move to a place where you feel your children aren't safe?? if you are afraid, you should probably move back to town.

it makes me crazy when people holler, kill "em!! wildlife is getting scarce as it is- please don't kill wild things. they are running out of food and places to live.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Bob - have you actually known cougars to be killed in Southern Iowa?
I know there are a lot of rumors about cougars in the area, but no one can confirm a sighting. Local DNR says there are none in the area.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
Traci Ann said:
...our landlord has let the weeds grow all around his metal shed next to our house. Too much junk and scrap metal in there for me to mow.
Well *somebody* needs to clean that up. If you can't mow it neither can your landlord.

Can't you go at it with a weed eater and then stack the junk and scrap metal inside the shed or in some boxes or something?

Have you explained the problem and danger to the landlord and asked him to clean it up?

I wouldn't let the kids play outside until this predator had been identified and relocated. Way too risky.

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
marvella I couln't agre more. People need to move onto towns and forget the countrycide. There are too many predators their. You can live in town and not have any preadors their. People seem to think that that the countryside is a peasfuf area but they are wrong. Everybody needs to move to town and let the police take care of them. People that are out in the countryside are in the way of nature. I vote that everybpdy should move to town or cities and let the animials have dominion ofer the countryside. LOL!

·
Domestic Engineer
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
turtlehead said:
Well *somebody* needs to clean that up. If you can't mow it neither can your landlord.

Can't you go at it with a weed eater and then stack the junk and scrap metal inside the shed or in some boxes or something?

Have you explained the problem and danger to the landlord and asked him to clean it up?

I wouldn't let the kids play outside until this predator had been identified and relocated. Way too risky.
Turtlehead _ everytime I clean up he brings more junk. When he is here he'd rather try and nibble on my ear ((SHUDDER)). He is almost 81 and just doesn't care.

Marvella - I have lived in the city once and would have rather the coyote, bobcat or whatever have ate me than more than move back.

Trust me I have more respect for the "critters" out here than many - I have grown up around them. But having something attack an animal - any animal in the middle of the day is a risky animal I cannot allow to be here.

Man has been given domain over the animals by God WAY back when. It is not like I haven't lost animals before - AT NIGHT. I will agree to disagree with you.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts