Bob Cat....Oh No!!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Helena, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

I would just keep a close eye out just in case they get curious with your animals. We have bob cat among other critters..coyotes howling almost every night, bears at the pond and foxes etc. Probably have had a few chickens missing over the years. I remember one time I walked out of the barn and there was a coyote standing within 3 feet of me !! I actually didn't recognize it for a few minutes thinking it was a dog..and then it ran. We raise goats, chickens, horses and various other farm animals and this is just a part of country life !! We usually make so much noise around our place that I do believe we chase most of the animals away. Just keep an eye out and if it presents a problem for you call your game commisioner to come and remove it for you. Remember this is their planet too and we are probably taking their homes away from them and we are the intruders. Good Luck !!

2. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

The bobcat could kill a chicken, but so could the neighbor's dog, a raccoon, a skunk, or any of the other usual suspects. And the same defenses work for a bobcat as you'd want to keep a raccoon out -- sturdy wire (not chicken wire) and make sure the runs are completely enclosed including the roof.

As far as the goats go, I'd be surprised, but it is possible. I've seen bobcats take out jack rabbits that are bigger and faster than a nigie kid. It probably depends on how hungry the bobcat is, and how big the kids are. Newborns by themselves would probably be bobcat bait. Newborns with mama around ...? Well, you know they say "don't mess with the mama!" A ----ed off mama goat well change the cat's mind. Bobcats are pretty cowardly.

Best defense, though, is probably a good farm dog that can be trusted around the kids and doesn't mind chasing a cat now and then. Unless rabid, the bobcat will run for the next county if a dog comes after it.

*shrug* I've had bobcats in my area regularly. Never a problem with them. I HAVE had issues with feral domestic cats and feral/loose dogs.

Leva

3. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i agree about the good farm dog, and want to add a note about good fencing too.

far more animals are lost to unfenced neighborhood dogs, than wild animals.

4. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

The good fencing will slow down the neighbor's dog, though I believe I've mentioned before that I had a large chow go thru a chain link kennel panel to kill chickens. It bent the heavy galvanized hooks holding the chain link to the bars. It also went through an electric fence (48" of no climb, electric at the top and bottom, fence wired to the ground) and beat the heck out of my guard dog.

Realistically, no fence will keep a bobcat out. I've seen one run up the side of my mobile home and end up on the roof -- about 12 vertical feet straight up, with a 1 foot overhang on the roof. My dog was chasing it and I suspect there was a bit of adrenaline involved in that leap. ;) This is why, for poultry, you HAVE to have covered runs.

Leva

5. HunterTed

HunterTed Rockin B Farm

In the past 2 weeks I have lost 4 chickens and a turkey to a bobcat. I don't think they will mess with a goat. But I run guard dogs with my goats so I don't worry about them. I have seen the bobcat twice in the last 4 days and this weekend I am gonna do my darndest to shoot him.