Board feet

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by doc623, Apr 15, 2005.

1. doc623

doc623 Well-Known Member

Does anyone have or know where to find the formula to
    calculate/estimate the number of board feet of lumber
    of a standing tree/timber?
    Thanks in advance.

2. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

do a search on the .......doyle log volume table

3. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

Ive got a book printed for the USDA forestry circus some years ago detailing different aspects of calculationg volume, it isnt an exact science, more of a good guessing table.... you have to know the hieght of the tree or trees, and the DBH or diameter breast high.... which can be difficult to get acurately for the once the bark in peeled it damages the tree to an extent depending upon how much bark you peel. Then you use a series of guesses as to how much taper is in the tree, and come up with a plus or minus 20%.

People get payed good for the service of estimating volume of standing timber, and they come close to what the mill actually pays for, however the Actual volume if you are cutting for yourself varies greatly..... the load of logs i buy with 3000 board feet will yeild up to 5000 feet even with my sawmill depending upon the type of logs all becuse of the scale book and how tight the scaler sticks to that book for deductions in favor of the mill.

As to where to get this book now, maybe from the local usda office of county agriculture agent, maybe online although ive not seen one in all the forestry pages i visited over the past few years.....

William