Boar breeds

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Rob30, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Rob30

Rob30 Well-Known Member Supporter

I am looking for new boar. I just sold Charlie. I am looking for a good temperment as well as good producer. I have been thinking Tamworth, but someone told me they can be a little cross. I have a young boar now but he is related to 3 of my sows. He is mostly large black, with a little duroc, yorkshire as well. All my pigs spend much of the year on pasture, and get most of their nutrition from pasture in the summer.

2. milkinpigs

milkinpigs Dairy/Hog Farmer

You'll probably have an easier time finding a Hamp or Duroc boar; either would be a good way to start a foundation for building up your herd. I have had good luck with Poland China's......had to disperse my hogs due to the drought,but will soon have hogs again and will be using polands and spots to breed my gilts.

3. Rob30

Charlie was a Duroc/york. Very nice babies, but I am looking for something different. A longer pig for one. Also good on pasture. I have access to the 5 poular breeds, plus large blacks and tamworths. I am thinking of sticking with the large black, just because they are so rare. But I heard tamworths are the best on pasture.

4. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Rob 30 - You might consider a Herford Boar. Very good Foragers, docile disposition, and long of body.

5. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

MilkinPigs you gonna have a go at AI with the next batch of Gilts?
    Should be DuckSoup for a fellow with your experience :D

6. Rob30

The only herfords in Canada are cows. I basically have to choose from Duroc, landrace, york, large black, tamworth, hampshir, berkshire, pietrain, or wild boar types.