Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Killer, our boar, (warning rated PG-13) is rubbing himself on our ladies who are close to farrowing - within 1 - 3 weeks. He suddenly starting acting perky and running around about 10 days ago when our temps got cooler. Now he is finding the back end of a horizontal late term lady satisfying. Killer is not fully mating them but rubbing his lower abdomen on them to enjoy himself. Is this normal? Is it best to separate them at this point?:kiss:

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would separate because he is most likely causing stress to the expecting ladies which isn't good. I know some say they never separate their boars from the sows and apparently they never have any problems but I have to keep mine separated because if I don't, he bugs the stew out of the girls just like you are describing.

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
It's pretty common for females to give off some confusing smells due to the hormonal changes of late pregnancy. I have seen this behavior in several species. If you had a boar in with ten sows running on 10 acres, it might not be an issue. But, one boar aggravating one sow in a small enclosure 24/7 is probably more stress than she needs right before farrowing.

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
He sounds confused. I would separate him. Hormone smells may be triggering him. I occasionally see this in young boars but not older experienced ones.

-Walter

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Poor Killer - just when things were picking up for him. I was concerned because in a 30 minute period, he had "finished" about 3 times - didn't take long each time. He is very passive about things, not aggressive and almost like he is scratching his abdomen on them. Sometimes the girls just let him and sometimes they protest. Strange

·
Registered
79 Posts
Boars rubbing the bellies of sows is normal at any stage from breeding through the gestation period. What you have to be careful about is if he(the boar) gets too rough with the sow(s) late in gestation, it can stress the sow and cause early parturition.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts