bo-se

Discussion in 'Goats' started by wwoodacres, Mar 21, 2005.

1. wwoodacres

wwoodacres Active Member

i was looking at some recommended vacines etc. for young goats and BO-SE or equivalent was on several of them what is this and what is it used for.

2. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

Bo-Se is given if you are in a selenium deficient area which most of the US is. There is a map posted somewhere on here, not sure if I can find it. A doe should get a Bo-Se shot 2 weeks before kidding. If you notice kids with weak legs that have trouble standing or getting around, a shot of Bo-Se will usually help them. You have to get the Bo-Se from a vet. I give the does a shot & also give the kids a shot at birth just as a precaution.

3. wwoodacres

wwoodacres Active Member

thanks now i know why i couldnt find it in jeffers or any livestock store

4. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

I do the very same with my goats. It's worth the few dollars to buy the vaccine and you'll stop any problems before or if you have any. good Luck !1

5. windyhollowfarm

windyhollowfarm Well-Known Member

Just a quick note...

Bo-Se is very toxic if overdosed. Please be careful with dosages when giving these shots. Make sure you absolutely need to give it.

6. trnubian

trnubian Twin-Reflection Nubians

I use BO-SE also. I give it to kids at about a day or 2 old; I give it to does 6 weeks prior to breeding, as this aids in fertilization and ovulation; I also give it a few days after a doe has kidded; I give it to the bucks about 6 weeks before breeding begins. But I never give it to a doe that is pregnant. I know many people do, but in my experience and many other breeders around here, giving a doe BO-SE while pregnant is just asking for a miscarrige. My vet, who is a very good goat vet, does not reccomend giving BO-SE to pregnant does either. The reason for this is one of the reasons to give BO-SE is to increase fertility and ovualtion. If the doe is pregnant and ovulates, she will miscarry. I know I'm might be the exception to the rule, but it is a rule that I will not change on my farm.

7. windyhollowfarm

windyhollowfarm Well-Known Member

For the past 2-3 years I have given Bo-Se as a prenatal vaccination at 5 and 2 weeks prior to kidding. I havent had any problems with it.

Dairy kids get 1/2 mL at birth.

I give Bo-Se before breeding to both does and bucks. Plus I should give it every 3 months to everyone, but sometimes end up slacking on it :rolleyes: