Bo-Se Shots

Discussion in 'Goats' started by AllWolf, Dec 4, 2006.

1. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

I have been doing some research to see if a goat can die from a BO-Se Shot and have found not much of anything but can it be possible and if so how long would it be before a goat would have a allergic reaction from BO-SE. I have given my goat a shot of it a while back and not trouble but this time I lost her. Heck I need some light on this. She was doing great and I gave her a shot of BO-Se yesterday evening and everything seem to be ok and then this morn she was down. So I was wondering if BO-SE killed her.

2. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

My guess would be that it's something else. Maybe it's whatever caused her original symptoms that made you give her the shot?

3. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Anything is possible, but in my experience with lots of different animals being treated with additional selenium (because I live in an area with little natural selenium), I've never experienced a reaction in an animal, goat, sheep, horse, or cow. You gave her very little. I really don't think it was the BoSE. I'd be looking around for a toxic substance, a plant in the hay, some substance or a plant she had access to in the pasture. Something even in your feed. There have been some instances recently of toxic substances in black oil sunflower seed shipments. Check your feed for any sign of mold, your hay too. It may even be that she had an allergic reaction to something most goats can eat. Goats are curious and will eat things that aren't exactly edible.

4. AllWolf

This may sound stupid but can a goat have a reaction to beet pulp?

She couldn't get a hold of anything poision because she was in the barn and the hay everyone is eatting. Gosh this is driving me nuts I'm about afraid she had a reaction to beet pulp. I hope that doesn't sound stupid that was new to her food

5. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

you gave her the bo-se over a very long time. selenium accumulates. if there was no blood level check up through your vet you might have poison her.
    if it would have been an alergic reaction she would have been dead this morning when you found her. i looked at the pictures of your little doel and i was wondering what makes you believe she was se deficient? did the vet draw blood to confirm this diagnosis? did you give vit e also?
    what minerel do you offer your goats?
    sorry the little doe died

6. AllWolf

There is only 2 things could had killed her. One the BO-Se shot or the beet pulp. She had never had beet pulp and it could been that. The goat loose minerals she gets is Ultralyx for goats. She had that everyday. When she was bad off also when getting better her back hoof wouldn't straighten out at all. So I talked to a vet and they said I needed to give one more shot of BO-SE and it was only 1cc not much at all but if she was having a reaction to that wouldn't it happen while i was out there?

Also yesterday was the first day she had beet pulp so I'm being to think she had a reaction to that not 100% sure.

Forgot to add this. Here is what was was getting feed... Please Pay Attention..

Cracked corn, oats, calf manna, alfalfa, an wet molasses.. Just added the beet pulp yesterday. Plus always got baking soda and loose goat minerals

7. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

That's a pretty rich diet for a little goat. Like I said, anything is possible. She could have simply reacted to the combination of things. All the other goats look okay?

8. susanne

unless she had beet pulp as much as she could eat i doubt it was from the beet pulp.
    i feed that to my animals every day. i still think she was poisoned with bo-se.
    please answer my question, did the vet draw blood to check the selenium level in the blood?
    sounds like you feed a good mineral with plenty se in it.

9. AllWolf

She would soon be 6 months old if she had lived. Oh well guess I can't saved them all but heck I try.

10. AllWolf

No didn't get the vet to check the blood

Guess I have learn the hard darn way. But what don't make no sense is she was ok lastnight until way up sometime this morn because I went and check on them at 11pm lastnight..

Oh well as they say there is always more to learn.

11. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Keep an eye on your other goats, it could still be something else. I tried to understand the Merck's info on selenium toxicity, but it doesn't seem to be acute, it happens over time, they don't drop dead from a single dose. It accumulates in their system. I think the amount it would take to kill them outright would have to be a lot more than 1 cc.

12. susanne

she did get shots over a long time. for me this fits perfectly.

13. AllWolf

Nope she had gotten 2 cc back in Oct on the 24 and another 2 days after that. Then gave her that one cc yesterday that was it.

14. susanne

i missunderstood that, sorry.
    was she vaccinated for enterotoxemia?

15. AllWolf

She had all her shots when I got her.

I meant to say in this post she got all her shots. Gosh my brain is going haywire now. Gosh that is what I meant to say not what the above says. I got her when she was only 2 days old so I gave her the shots.

16. susanne

when i get a new goat i give cd&t no matter if he/she already had it or not. this way i'm sure they got it from me with vaccine that is still good, no guess work.

17. AllWolf

When I first got her she got her shots because when I first got her she hadn't had them yet and I gave her the CD/T shots like suppose to be. So I know it not that.

18. susanne

missunderstood again, duh. i thought you said she had all her shots when you got her. this made me believe the previous owner did that.

19. pourfolkes

pourfolkes Well-Known Member

I am so sorry to hear that you lost your goat, it is always so hard when you lose one. I don't think it was anything that you specifically did. Maybe it was a genetic problem, but who knows? I think you did the best that you could do and you followed the vet's advice. I would keep an eye on the others though. Oh and welcome to your hubby too! Keep us posted...

20. AllWolf

I almost believe it was the shot. She may already had enough V-E in her and then me adding another shot just over dose her. Everyone is eatting the same type of stuff no troubles at all. Gosh it is cold outside I will contact a VET an ask them questions about what happen because I have done some more searching and believe it was the BO-Se shot because when she passed on she had liquid to come out of her mouth that was straw color and I found a site that said if you over dose a goat on BO-SE you will see that.. When she was dieing in my arms she started having like sizures and gasping for breath then all the sudden she was gone. So I;m almost 100% it was the shot. I will get a hold of a vet today and talk to them.. I tried everything I knew how.