Bo-Se questions (oh, and a cd&t question as well)

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Qvrfullmidwife, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife Well-Known Member

Bo-Se dosage for doe a month out from kidding?

How long should you watch for anaphalactic shock?

Is Bo-Se supposed to be refrigerated? I noticed on the bottle that it is supposed to be kept at <85 degrees. :eek: No one told me and I didnt ask when I got it :no: (at the vet while there for CAE tests) so I didnt keep it cold. :eek: It has been in the garage since then...oh, mid Oct...

Bar CD&T went ahead and did this one too...but a question...from what I was told, the next goat to get it has never had it. The bottle says to repeat it. Should it be repeated? If so, should the timing be adjusted, as in start it earlier or something? If she is preggers she should be kidding in March, sometime, have an email in to the person that we got her from to see if we can pin down a breeding date. Not too optimistic for her, though, as far as kidding goes. She was bred in Oct, I was told, but a day or so after we got her she had a (scant but obvious) bloody discharge. SO I figure either (1)breeding wasnt successful and she was in heat (2)the butting that was going on as they all got used to each other caused her to abort. :( Guess time will tell, huh?

I gotta tell you...I fell like a real wuss. Dont ask me why, I can give shots and draw blood with the best of them when it is a PERSON, but it is taking some effort to get over being squeamish when it comes to animals. I am so afraid that everything that I do, I will end up killing them. :haha: :eek: :waa:

2. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

here in michigan, I give Bo Se, every three months. and to the kids when they are born.

3. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

Use lable directions on the bottle of BoSe for adult goats it goes by the weight of the goat. I always pull back on the syringe looking for any blood then knowing I am not in a vein. The goat that has not had CD/T before should have it 3 times like you would a kid for beginning shots. I always keep the epi ready to go as shock sets in almost immediatly and you need it then, not waiting to go back to the house and pull the syringe full.

4. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

I keep epi pulled and in the barn with me anytime I give shots, I have never had to use it on my own stock.

It's instant when a goat goes down, there will be no waiting :)

You may see shock when vaccinating, but likely this would only be with an antitoxin..you may see shock when giving antibitotics and even in does who previously have had the same drug before. I honestly think most reactions come from dragging the needle with the med being squirted in, through a blood vessel.

I keep everything in the fridge, this extends the date it needs to be thrown out, keeps it out of the humidity and the light. Bo-se is just a mineral I would not throw it out, I would use it, I would throw it out had you said it was a vaccine.

I always redo vaccinations it's simply easier and cheaper than taking the word of someone else. So give the first shot, give the 2nd shot 21 days later and leave it at that, it is also going to put you pretty durn close to her needed shot of 3 weeks before she kids if she is due anytime in March.

Yeah you will have to wait to see what happens with the doe. Being a Lamancha just because you haven't see a heat this past couple months really doesn't mean alot either. And if she has been in milk before it is near impossible to tell from her udder if she is really bred. Now if she is a young doe never bred before, you should be seeing obviously udder formation, if not seing it for sure feeling it. I took all my girls for a walk in the woods this last weekend, and you can feel everyones udder, and we are due the end of Feb to mid March.

Oh...and my neighbors next door, put a lovely grape vine in about 1 foot away from our fence...a fence they know goats live in, I hope they don't expect many grapes or leaves to be growing on that pretty vine :) Vicki

5. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife Well-Known Member

"I keep epi pulled and in the barn with me anytime I give shots"

I will do this next time...I had it with me, just not drawn up or anything.

This doe that we are wondering about has never been bred, but is the same age as the one that we are pretty sure WAS successfully bred. (Both early 2003 kids). There is a noticeable difference in the udders between the one that we think was successfully bred and the one that we are questioning. We might be wrong, but I would be really surprised if we have kids from her in March. I will still give her the bo-se and CD&T just to be sure. Cant hurt, right? And I guess she needs the CD&T anyway, never having had it before.

Good to hear that the bo-se is prob fine...guess it is a good thing that I didnt have it in the garage throughout the summer, huh? :no:

"Oh...and my neighbors next door, put a lovely grape vine in about 1 foot away from our fence...a fence they know goats live in, I hope they don't expect many grapes or leaves to be growing on that pretty vine "

Oh, they were just trying to give the goats a treat...being good neighbors and all ;)

6. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

How do you know the difference between shock and a faint.

I gave Ivermectin to a doe and she fainted. I gave it in the skin behind the front leg instead of the neck like I usually do and it seemed to hurt more. I wasn't expecting it and shook her awake and she was fine.

7. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Hi Dee, have never seen that before. I have had a full grown buck go down to his knees, a doe literally start screaming and throwing herself against a wall to push against the shot site. Did it go in the muscle, or under the skin? Faint? Wow! And to think we used to give Ivermectin under the skin regularly, it wasn't until it started giving my goats shot sites did I stop using it. This is some nasty stuff.

In shock they go weak in the knees and fall over, their eyes are all whites and they may tremble, they will stop breathing if you don't give them epi now. Sometimes they need Benedryl to open up their airways if it was from allergy to say penicillin, and their airways are swollen. Vicki