Bluefields area, VA and WV?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Sharona, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Sharona

Sharona Active Member

Anybody live around there? I've been reading up on it the last few days because I came across some real estate I really like in Bluefield, VA. It appears to be extremely lovely country. Has everything I would like in climate and outdoor activities.

I'd love to hear thoughts, comments, knowledge on the area if anyone lives around there.

What's the farming like? What do you grow? Taxes good/bad? Conservative? Liberal? Friendly people? Standoffish? etc etc etc

2. n8tureboy

n8tureboy Well-Known Member

There is some very nice land in the Bluefield area, ranging from hilly to straight up and down, also some farm land close by if that's what you're looking for.

I don't know if property taxes are cheaper on the WV side or the Va side? Gas taxes are cheaper in VA. Climate is four season, but not nearly as cold as central NH. Average winter temps. about 35-40, Summer around 80. Humidity can be a bit oppressive though.

People are probably more moderate to conservative, Pro-second ammendment,hard working, salt-of-the-earth kind of people and overly friendly to boot.

3. 3ravens

3ravens on furlough-downsized Supporter

Sharona, what do you do for a living? Jobs are scarce and mostly low pay. Be sure you have a job before you move. With that said, you will love it in the area. Nice people, beautiful country. I think I'd lower that average winter temp by about 5 * tho. My place is outside Princeton WV.
    If you do look in the area, contact Crouse Realty in Tazewell, VA. A man named Gary Gunter was so good when we were looking for a place. Drove us all over the countryside, would call us when he heard of a likely place, etc. Really good realtor!

4. WhiteChristmas

WhiteChristmas Super Mom and College Kid

House prices are low to buy, {fixer uppers from $5000. to $25000.} jobs are hard to get. {I've been looking for a regular steady job for two months. {and I'm willing to do barnwork to waitressing and everything and anything in between} and not much of a nibble. People are very friendly. cost of stuff not really bad. schools are not the best. but not the worest.

tons of churchs here. Starbucks. LOL....

Any more questions I can answer them or find the answer. I live a mile from the Mecer Mall. white

5. HeavenHelpMe

HeavenHelpMe Well-Known Member

I live about 30 miles from Bluefield, in Virginia.

WV sales taxes are a bit higher I think, but I don't know about property taxes. Ours in our county are something around .59 per $100 for real estate. Something like that.

There isn't much work available in WV in that area right now. So many people commute to VA pretty much. I know many, many people that drive 2 or more hours out of WV to go to work each day here. At my husband's job, he knows personnally about 10 people just in his department that drive that and live in WV.

Unless you're independently wealthy, you're going to have a rough start.

6. PonderosaQ

PonderosaQ Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd second about everything folks have already told you. There is some some lovely scenery out that way. Some homes ripe for renovation. Land at reasonable , though not rock bottom prices. What they have said about work is true though. There isn't a lot of it and it doesn't pay well. I live just over the border in VA and we see WV plates all the time. Folks come over even to work in Walmart and the local nursing homes. Lots of folks come over and go to work for Virginia Tech. You can check out employment opportunities there at VT.edu.Lots more to running that place than being a professor. It's about an hours ride from Princeton WV, a good 20 mins more from Bluefield and maybe quite a bit more depending exactly where you end up in that are. Weather isn't to extreme in either direction. I don't find it humid compared to the Jersey shore or TN and certainly cooler in summer. Good luck finding out about the area. Oh WV has loads of tourist info about the area. Maybe someone more local than I can send you some or you could get some through their website.
    PQ

7. Farmerwilly2

Farmerwilly2 Well-Known Member

Isn't that where Bob 'Gilligan' Denver lived before his passing? I believe admin. Chuck hales from there also.

8. 3ravens

3ravens on furlough-downsized Supporter

Hey WC, my place is about 10 miles from you as the crow flies......about 20 if you use the roads, LOL.

9. ChickenTracy

ChickenTracy Well-Known Member

Everything's a little cheaper on the VA side. But, if you move close to the line where you can work, get fuel, groceries it isn't so bad. I'm an hour away & not worth the distance to drive there on a regular basis. I'm right outside of Beckley.

10. n8tureboy

n8tureboy Well-Known Member

Yes...Gilligan, aka Bob Denver did live in Princeton/Bluefield area for many years until his passing just recently. He ran a Micro-broadcast radio station called "Little Buddy Radio".

11. Junkman

Junkman Junkman

Yep, we are good folk. Well, most of us are. Jobs are not easy to come by unless you are well educated in a particular field. I too suggest you don't move until you have a job. Mountains are beautiful and a good safe place to homestead. But, like most states, foreign companies are trying to buy up land. We get letters and post cards from all over wanting to purchase our land. I guess the County Court House is selling our names. Seems like most folks getting them are people with over 50 acres. We were once told that as soon as an Interstate Highway came through we would have more crime. It happened. But near our area the authorities are fighting it. Mostly an influx of drug related crimes which are affecting our youth.

12. independant1

independant1 Active Member

My parents currently live in Bluefield, WV. I graduated high school in Princeton (1994). I did not grow up there. From my 3 years living there, my parents had a tough time finding work. They still have that problem now (they moved to FL and then came back 10 years later). It is beautiful there. You do have to pay state income tax in WV. Other than that, I have only been back to WV about 4 maybe 5 time since I graduated-if that tells you anything.
    -Andy

13. Sharona

Sharona Active Member

Thanks for all the responses.

junkman, I don't think it's the government is in the business of selling people's land...it's more like the brokers have a constitutional right-to-know (just as it should be of course). Everything I learned about any land is from realtor websites :D

I've found a lot of beautiful properties around there--anywhere from 10 acres to 200, house, outbuildings, long private "hollows" surrounded by massive amounts of trees, hills and wildlife, often right on a river or creek and with established pastures and gardens--all ranging from $50k to $160k.

I've been a secretary my whole life and of course, I wouldn't move to a jobless area unless I could pay cash for a property. I look at this way--I have a big old farmhouse up here, 1 acre, unfinished 2nd floor, loads and loads of work needs to be done. I mean, it is a complete rebah, even to get it up to par with roof, new leach field, chimney refab, winterization, electric and plumbing, and heating system it would cost me about $60k. I have a $128k mortgage on it. I have one (ONE) monitor heater and a woodstove in an unlined 100 yr old chimney that tries to heats 2500 sq. ft in minus-5 degree temperatures.

Yet, I could sell my house in as-is condition for $190k and that is CHEAP. People would think they were getting a "bargain". My property taxes are $3300 a year and that is CHEAP. My heating bill is a minimum $1500 a year.

I make $10 an hour, no benefits, as a NH secretary with 20+ years experience. Don't let anybody fool you, NH is very low paying to skilled and unskilled labor, working poor, just like anywhere else. You make money in NH if you're a techy or professional.

So what is worse? $10 an hour in NH with a $128k mortgage, $250 a month tax and insurance bill, heating costs in the thousands... or $8 an hour in VA/WV with no mortgage?

I'm not looking for a perfect life, just a better one! lol