Bluefaced Leicester for small home flock?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by SherrieC, Dec 30, 2006.

1. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

I am first and foremost a Dairy Goat raiser, but I've have always wanted sheep since I purchased this place in 1995. I'm looking for something Tame, with gentle rams so a 40 yr old woman can handle it. Something that can Peacefully coexist on pasture with my goats, I know I'll have to move the goat s mineral up where sheep can't reach! They must come from a flock that doesn't vaccinate for CL or (Opp?) As I must blood test them for these diseases and keep them OUT of my herd of Dairy goats, goats get CAE and CL we never vacinate for these as then you cant' tell. They must be Electric fence and LGD compatable.

I want them for potential handspining, mutton, lamb sales, breeding stock sales, to go out and Grazze as the goats don't, but might with a sheep to follow! :rolleyes: maybe for my children to show in 4-h.

would the Bluefaced Leicester be a good choice? and if so when would be a good time for purchasing spring, fall?

I always have liked the look of the Cheviot, but I'm afraid they might be too flighty!

2. MTDeb

MTDeb Well-Known Member

I don't know how blue leicester are as far as behavior, but I sure LOVE their fleece. I think it's close to my top favorites.

We have a Cheviot ram and he's really mild mannered and easy to deal with. I'm not sure if he's an anomaly or if they're all like that. There's LOTS of cheviots in this area and people really seem to like them.

I have a friend who's in her 50's, about 100 pounds and 5 feet tall and she raises cheviots too and she loves them and doesn't have any problem handling them.

3. wendle

wendle Well-Known Member

I have both bfl's and border cheviots. The bfl's are known to have nice fleece for hand spinning and are docile, even to the point of being friendly. They are easy to shear too with the finer wool. The border cheviots are nice too, I think maybe hardier, a little flightier, but still very managable. Border Leicesters are another good choice for a wool breed who produces well and has nice lambs.

4. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

I have bfl ewes, and I breed them to a suffolk ram. Gentle, easily the best mothers in my large mixed flock, fast growing babies. The xbreds have nice fleeces. They do quite well with my herd of lamanchas.

5. SherrieC

But Doc!!! Lamanchas will eat off their ears if they mess with them :) I have one lamancha doeling, and she is all by herself because of being the meanest (to other goats) darn goat I've ever owned. biting, raming, slaming. nobody in thier pregnant state is safe around her!

6. Somerhill

Somerhill Well-Known Member

Don't worry, Sherrie - BFL have HUGE ears. no Munchie could eat more than one. :p
    Lisa at Somerhill
    www.somerhillfarm.com

7. Somerhill

Hey - I did not know that you have BFLs! Now I know why I like you. :)
    I just sold a BFL ram lamb to a guy in SC who has Suffolks (the frame type - tall)
    He wanted him to add muscling and a more moderate size to his lambs. So far, the guy is thrilled with him. I can hardly wait to see what he thinks of the lambs this spring.
    Lisa at Somerhill
    www.somerhillfarm.com

8. Somerhill

Sherrie, I have a BFL ram lamb, and two adult rams for sale. Our flock has tested OPP negative since 1999, and we do not vaccinate for CL. I think either Rocky or Hal would work for you in the gentle department - Chet is gentle, but a little too friendly for me to recommend him for your situation. I think its better to have a ram that is standoffish and respectful for a woman who probably spends a lot of time working closely with her animals. A ram that is too outgoing and friendly can get too pushy in that sort of situation.

We use electric fence - both wire and netting - exclusively, and have 4 LGDs.

Like others have said - BFLs are in demand as breeding stock, have wonderful wool that demands a high price, and are easy to shear. I just tie my rams and shear them standing up - no belly, leg, head wool to bother with. The ewes are docile and good mothers who lamb easily and have loads of milk. They are pretty hardy and healthy, too, assuming that they are fed well.

I'm going to have about 6 adult ewes for sale after we wean lambs - probably early July. They will be quite reasonably priced, and would pair nicely with any of the rams we have for sale.

Contact me privately if you are interested in BFL - if we are too far apart to make it practical, I can likely recommend someone closer to you.

Lisa at Somerhill
    www.somerhillfarm.com

9. SherrieC

I'll keep you in Mind July would give me plenty of time to make sure all fences are in order. I know of a few other breeders in Ohio and Indiana, but only you also have the French Angora's I could maybe kill two birds with one stone!