Blueberry Questions...

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Maggie, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Maggie

Maggie Well-Known Member Supporter

We planted 5 blueberry bushes this past weekend. They are all Northland blueberries. From what I've been reading on the internet, some are saying you need 2 different kinds for cross pollination :shrug: . The nursery people didn't tell us this and the 'care tag' which came with the berry bushes didn't mention this. Do we need to buy more bushes of a different type?
    Also, I need further information on how to keep up the application of acid fertilizer. (How much, how often?, etc.) If anyone has info. or links, please post them. Thanks, and have a great day, Maggie

2. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

3. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

I would say they would do better if they could cross polinate with others though you will get a few anyway, also where I live in AR if you use a few shovel fulls of peat moss with them at planting time you dont need to apply acid fertilizer, I plan to mulch mine with hardwood sawdust this will help make them more acid and keep down the weeds at the same time.

4. rocket

rocket Well-Known Member

You might still get some blueberries, but having multiple varieties is supposed to really help production. You might want to even plant more than two varieties. I've tried to plant every variety I find for sale locally.

Blueberries do like acid soil (pH around 5.0), but I would think they would do alright as long as they're not in alkaline soil (pH above 7.0). Adding sulphur or peat moss to the planting bed might be more effective than those acidifying fertilizers. Do you know what your soil's pH is? If not, testing it might be a good idea. The amount of material needed to change your soil to a certain pH will depend on where the soil starts out. You might not need to do anything.

5. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Well-Known Member Supporter

I have about 15 I believe and we do have 3 of the same and 1 later bush in one area they are the oldest of my bushes and they are loaded every year. I used to work at a berry farm and he had his planted in fields of one of early ,one mid season and one late.I think you need more than one bush to pollinate.I add pine needles and saw dust to mulch mine which also adds acid to the soil.

6. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

I am guessing the early mid season and late all bloom at the same time? other wise they would not be able to cross pollinate, I planted 20 toatle of 3 kinds last fall DW says they have berries on them but I was not home to see them bloom.Wouldnt it be better to stagger them (the varieties)in the row that way they would be more likely to cross as bees tend to go to one general area.

7. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Well-Known Member Supporter

Sure It may be better, Iam trying to say I dont think it has to be a different variety.It could also just be another plant.2 of the same kind,cant just have one bush.

8. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

The University of Minnesota has done a lot of research with blueberries. You might try checking their web site -- they have a lot of good information on all types of plants.

9. Windy_jem

Windy_jem Well-Known Member Supporter

Can you plant the blueberries near pine trees to make the soil acid enough?

10. Dahc

Dahc Don't Tase me, bro!?!

The soil becomes acidic by the pine needles composting as a mulch. So, next to or partially under pine trees would be more acidic soil.

11. Windy_jem

Windy_jem Well-Known Member Supporter