Blueberry question

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Greg, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Greg

Greg Member

Last year I planted blueberries in the spring. Types were blueray, elliot, bluecrop + some others. It looked like they got sunburnt. All the leaves turned brown at the edges and some plants died. We get a very low humidity and its around 100 daily. They were watered on most days.
    Question - should I shade them or will they not work in this climate.

2. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

Where are you located??

3. Greg

Greg Member

Central CA.

4. swamp man

swamp man Well-Known Member

Have you checked your soil PH?Blueberries are real picky about the PH.Could have they gotten burned by too much nitrogen?I know you said"brown around the edges"but brown leaf tips can indicate nitrogen burn.
    If the soil isn't well drained,and you watered them alot,they may have drowned.When the leaves turn brown,but still feel "juicy"(as opposed to crispy),staying too wet is often the problem.Blueberries like full sun.Mine get about 10 hrs a day of full sun,and produce like crazy.I'm in Mississippi.If you are at altitude,you likely have a higher UV index than us lowlanders,but I doubt that's the problem.
    Are bluberries commonly grown in your area?If so,you might find somebody who is having successful crops,and see if they will you let you take some cuttings,or maybe dig up some suckers.I have had so-so results with store-bought cultivars,but the cuttings and volunteers I have planted have been real good to me.

5. Greg

Greg Member

Swamp man - I added sulfur to make it acidic. The leaves were crispy dry and we're at 3000 feet. They were from Nourse on the internet. I also go strawberries from the same place which did fine. I don't know about neighbors. Thanks for the advice.

6. cpeyus

cpeyus Well-Known Member

Greg, where in Central CA are you? I'm at 3600', near Jackson...

I'm starting blueberries next year...unfortunately, I can't start doing it all in one year :(

7. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

What time of day did you water them? Did you sprinkle the plant? I wondered if the plants were wet when it was so hot out in the sun. That could cause sun scald. Can't think of anything else.

8. Greg

Greg Member

I'm in Volcano.

They were watered in the morning or at night.