Blueberry plants

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Mutti, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Here is a commercial for the best blueberry plants....click on watersblueberryfarm.com....they are now taking orders for fall 2005 and you WON'T be dissapointed. We got a qt. off each 2 year old plant this year in the midst of horrendous drought; plants thriving. We are ordering again....for many years we've planted--and killed --blueberry plants until we found these fine folk. DEE

2. TxCloverAngel

TxCloverAngel Happiness is Homemade

where are you? I'm in Texas. I havent found ANY blueberries that will work in zone 8-9 I know there are some because there used to be a blueberry farm about 10 miles from me at a campground.. I asked them what kind they were, but all the ppl working are teens who dont know or care lol I looked at the waters site.. and they say to zone 7 :( anybody have any ideas?

3. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

Wish I did. If you find some, let me know. There are blueberries all over here but I can't get mine to live. Would love to have some though.

4. gothhick

gothhick one big gray area

man i have more blueberries than i know what to do with!!! i'm putting them in the freezer right now. picking about 5 pounds a day!

5. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

TXCLOVER - go to www.plantanswers.com and search on blueberries. To grow blueberries successfully in most parts of Texas you need to plant them in a BIG pot using PURE PEAT MOSS (no soil) and water them only with rainwater. More of the above info available at plantanswers.com.

6. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

You may just have luck with the Waters plants...they are large with an excellent root system when you get them ...for $13 for a plant that will bear next spring it is worth the gamble. I've spent enough on dinky little plants that promptly gave up the ghost. What is gardening but a gamble anyhow!!!!!DEE

7. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

I can't wait to have my own place again! Those bushes look gorgeous Mutti!

8. Oxankle

Oxankle Well-Known Member

Blueberries require acid soil and a ready supply of water. Here in Oklahoma I am about l5 miles West of the edge of the Ozark foothills. The soil is fine, acid, for blueberries but the water supply is not--way to dry all summer. Blueberries do fine however if they have drip irrigation or constant watering. Not 60 miles E. of me there are commercial blueberry farms with bushes ten feet high.
    Ox

9. gothhick

gothhick one big gray area

yeah, after a good rain our blueberries are FAT! but go a few days without and they get scrawny and lose their flavor...

10. cathryn

cathryn Well-Known Member

Any idea what would make my berries tart? They were fine last year. This year they started out so tart you could hardly eat them. The berries ripening now are fine, but a lot of them already in the freezer will have to be for syrup with lots of sweetener.