Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Wishing for more green
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, here goes, blueberries are next. Where should I purchase them from in bulk and what plants produce the most in a dry climate? I am also going to have to build self-contained planters to keep the alkaline soil from sucking out all the acidity out of the soil (already happened before). Any ideas for recyclable self-contained plantars that would work for blueberries!

Thanks in advance everybody!!

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
Blueberries need LOTS of water.

They need a cooling period also.

If you can't provide the climate, soil and moisture needed - move to another fruit.

Service berry is a small-tree fruit similar to a blueberry - doesn't require acid soil.

·
East Central MN
609 Posts
Blueberries need LOTS of water.

They need a cooling period also.

If you can't provide the climate, soil and moisture needed - move to another fruit.

Service berry is a small-tree fruit similar to a blueberry - doesn't require acid soil.
What do you mean by "cooling period"? During the day? Season? We planted 16 bush type blueberries, they are out in the open with no shade, plenty of water and the soil is right (had it tested).

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
If your in MN, then you are fine for cooling period/winter. If you can grow apples, you can grow blueberries (both require winter dormancy ie cooling period).

·
Registered
186 Posts
Any ideas for recyclable self-contained plantars that would work for blueberries!
We sell high low blueberry bushes at the farm where I work. My boss showed me how to make landscape fabric grow bags. We put the young plants in them, fill them up with compost and peat moss, then put the bags under mulch to keep them moist in a "nursery area."

They're easy to make, but if you will be keeping the plants in the bags for more than a year, I'd suggest to slit the bag in an X with a sharp knife before you plant them, as a blueberry plants' roots grow horizonantal with the ground, and the bag could impede growth if you use the 5 (or higher) year fabric.

Here's how to make them:
1. You'll need a container to wrap the fabric around; you can use 1 gallon, 2 gallon, etc, just leave lots of room for the roots. A round container or pot works best. Also need scissors, and a hot glue gun.

2. If you're making big grow bags, just cut the roll of fabric in half with a heavy butcher knife. Then cut off a piece long enough to fit around the container:

3. Glue the sides.

4. Stand the container on it's end:

5. And fold the edges in, and glue with the hot glue gun:

6. Fill it up with soil, and plant away. :)

Hope this helps,
Kyah

·
Banned
1,354 Posts
Not all blueberry cultivars require a chill period. The lowbush varieties generally do, but there's tons of highbush and rabbiteye varieties that don't need it. Blueberry farming is big business where I live, and it never drops below freezing for any extended period of time.
The acidity in the soil can be maintained without containers, even in sandy soil. Just mulching with pine needles and letting them rot down every year does the trick for me, and mine throw bumper crops.
As to the variety, I'd see who's got good-producing bushes in your area, and see if they'll let you dig up some pups or take some cuttings. My best-producing bushes are volunteers, or from pups I dug up from around proven producers.

·
Wishing for more green
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
and all the other ideas. Thanks for the help. I have plenty of pine needles from the local mountain community and always with them. I have access to some containers I am going to cut in half for the berries, but don't have access to local ideas or pups. Most people give up on growing anything around here, but I will keep asking. I really would love to add blueberries to my crops if it were profitable enough. The containers I figure would help the water issue and mulch of course and maybe some dwarf varieties to deal with the growth issue in the pots.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts