blueberries question

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by barefootfarmer, Apr 14, 2005.

1. barefootfarmer

barefootfarmer Member

Even though my blueberries are only a few years old, i would like for them to eventually look like other bushes. Big, bushy, full of berries. Does this come with time or is there some other trick to getting a fuller plant?

2. scwaterfowl

scwaterfowl Member

Are they rabbiteye?

Brian Paul

3. MoBarger

MoBarger Goat's Milk soap for sale

Pruning helps too, but knowing the variety is good :D

4. scwaterfowl

scwaterfowl Member

All I'm familiar with are rabbiteye. They require little or no pruning, but unless you want to pick berries with a ladder, they need to be kept at a reasonable height. Some growers don't prune them and I've seen them 10' + and loaded.
    Very high PH will stunt their growth, and they need to have all other vegetation removed as they don't compete well.
    I only fertilize with osmocote.
    Best book I know of with info on rabbiteyes is Ison's.
    Brian Paul

5. barefootfarmer

barefootfarmer Member

no , these are the bluecrop, jersey etc. they are in a very acid soil along with all their other requirements.

6. luvrulz

luvrulz Well-Known Member Supporter

We have about 350 bushes - jersey, elliot and a few others. We just got done fertilizing them about 2 weeks ago. We just put these in the ground this past fall and from what I understand, it takes a couple of years for them to get up to their maximum production. We have a local friend with a gazillion bberries and his website has some info @ bluegrassblueberries.com. There's also a website linked their for the Kentucky Blueberry Growers Association for info on schedules for fertilizing and such. Or you can even email him!

Good luck with your! We're putting in another 450 this fall! Good thing I love 'em!