Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone growing them with great success? We picked up some plants at the local farmer's market yesterday and then hear from friends afterward that they are very difficult to grow? I know the soil will need to be amended to lower the PH and all...heavy mulching to help with the shallow root system.
I just have a very "un-green" thumb sometimes and as these babies are the DH's dream I want to see that they get all the best care possible.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
I have never tried to grow them... but want to. There is a blueberry farm about 5 miles away from me and they do very well each year. I don't know what they do for the soil, but they do a great buisness each year. I am SW MO near the town of Joplin.... zone 6. HTH
God bless you and yours
Deb

·
Premium Member
7,230 Posts
What plants grow well there? Any azalea or rhododendrons or blueberries? Or is it more lilacs (which prefer low acid soil)? We are on acidic soil which grows azalea rhodies AND blueberreis very well without amendment. If I were back on chalky lilac soil I would once again grow my blueberries in pots.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
They grow well here.As matter of fact they grow wild here,I just have to beat the Turkeys and Deer to them.

big rockpile

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
We didn't grow them years ago when I lived in Mo, but DH and I have some here, we picked some day before yesterday and I made a cobbler it was really good with icecream, DS1 called about time for it to come out of the oven and said he needed to stop by and pick up something, will he pick that up, and sense his wife and two little girls were with him we all had blueberry cobbler.UMM-UMM
bopeep

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
suzyhomemaker09 said:
Anyone growing them with great success? We picked up some plants at the local farmer's market yesterday and then hear from friends afterward that they are very difficult to grow? I know the soil will need to be amended to lower the PH and all...heavy mulching to help with the shallow root system.
I just have a very "un-green" thumb sometimes and as these babies are the DH's dream I want to see that they get all the best care possible.
There is a u-pick blueberry farm somewhere between here (Branson) and Eureka Springs. Apparently, they do well. I'm planning on putting in five or six bushes next spring. Wanted to do it this spring but too much other stuff kept me busy! I'm not a big blueberry fan myself, but dh is, and I am positively dedicated to the concept of edible landscaping. If it doesn't produce something edible (or useable, as in the case of bayberry), it's not going in my homestead!

donsgal

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Theres a U-Pick farm near Willow Springs?West Plains too. they do a thriving business each year. Just NOT this year, like the rest of us, lost all fruit due to the freeze.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts