blue New Zealands?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by tbishop, Jul 29, 2006.

1. tbishop

tbishop Well-Known Member

On the Meatrabbit list on Yahoo there are a few people that get blue New Zealands on occasion. One ever breeds for it. Does anyone on this message board get them or breed for it? I'd love to have a pair.

Tim B.

2. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

Tim.... other than breeding for the potential of getting them recognized by the ARBA for show purposes and selling to other similarly interested parties, they have very little value for the "for profit" theme. They're too large for the pet market, and most processors tend to pay less for colored rabbits.

Pat Lamar
    President
    Professional Rabbit Meat Association
    http://www.prma.org/
    Chairperson, ARBA Commercial Department Committee

3. tbishop

Yeah I know. The only "profit" I realize from my rabbits is extra food for my family and my dogs and the enjoyment of breeding and raising rabbits I love. If I was looking to be successful commercially, I would never even think about it. I just want rabbits that I like looking at.

Tim B.

4. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Tim ,Did you ever get the rabbits from Texas A&M ??

5. tbishop

no- I have yet to find someone coming from there to here. If anyone know anyone coming from the east side of texas to Minnesota, please let me know.

Tim B.

6. lscheopner

lscheopner lscheopner

We bred a NZR to a NZW and got 4 babies that are reddish and 1 blue. Never had one show up before but it is very pretty. Luckily the processor around here will take colored rabbits so color is not a problem for us. I'm thinking of keeping the blue one just because I love the color. If I was going to raise for the processors on a consistant basis I would probably keep the NZW. We have Cals to but haven't been that impressed with them.