Blue Jays

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by countrygrrrl, May 22, 2004.

1. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

One of my favorite things about my little homestead :) has been the sheer abundance and varieties of birds I've managed to attract. Little nuthatches, goldfinches, pileated and redheaded woodpeckers, bluebirds, unidentifiable pretty birds :confused: , on and on and on.

I purposely haven't gotten a cat so I can enjoy the birds.

But about 2 weeks ago, blue jays decided to move in. :no: Now, I actually kind of like blue jays --- they're so bossy, just juvenile delinquents of the bird world!

But they're spending all their time trying to drive out all the other birds. :no: And I want the other birds to stay and the blue jays to hit the road!!

Any way to drive only blue jays off? I know I'm probably out of luck, but thought maybe someone might know something which would help. And no, I won't shoot them. I have astigmatism, you know. :)

2. bare

bare Head Muderator

Jays and smaller birds have co-existed for millions of years, I imagine they will continue to do so. Haven't you ever seen a bunch of smaller birds swarm and harrass bigger birds?

You mentioned attracting. If Jays have taken over your feeder, you just need another feeder for the smaller birds. Jays also really like cracked corn that your other birds can't deal with, so maybe put up a feeder of corn just for the jays.

In the early spring, I get innundated by Red-winged Blackbirds that really dominate the feeder and gobble up the seed, so I fill my little bird feeder that is a copy of the original but wrapped in chickenwire (the big kind) that the little guys can pass but excludes the hungry bullys.

I don't get a whole lot of Jays here it seems. Sometimes the Stellars will pop in for a visit and for a time had an uncommon to this area pair of Eastern Bluejays around for a time. Those Easterns were interesting birds...they'd fly into a nearby tree and make a call like a hawk at which point all the neighbor hood birds would completely disappear and leave them to their feeder in peace.

Birds are just too cool!

3. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Blue jays are menaces to society! Which is one of the best things about them. :D

I don't keep feeders because of rats and other rodents. Essentially what I've done to attract the birds is clean out the rats and other rodents :yeeha: , refuse to get cats and maintain a bird-friendly environment. :) Sounds silly but it worked --- first spring and summer, all there were were rats :grrrrrrr: and snakes, with a few birds here and there.

If, however, the blue jays can coexist with the smaller birds, I'll stop worrying about it. :)

4. I don't know where you are but here in indiana the blue jays are common and abundant. I've never seen them hastle any other birds and they are the first to warn others if there is a hawk or other predator around.

They are kind of pigs with the sunflower seeds at the feeder but this time of year I only ahve a pair around. Come winter I'll have 20! but other than being piggish, I've never seen anything bad about them.

Mel-