blue-eyed newzealands(mixed of course)

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by awfulestes, Jun 24, 2006.

1. awfulestes

awfulestes Well-Known Member

I bred a brown eyed palomino colored buck to a pink eyed white new zealand doe. Got 2 blue eyed white babies. One has light blue eyes . Freaky I know. Anyone have something similar? I know many people breed for that kind of eye and it is difficult to get. Mine just popped out of nowhere. LoL

2. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Blue eyed white bunnies??? How cool is that?

Pics, please!

3. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

Very cool. :) Both of your adults were carrying the Vienna gene. That's for blue eyed whites. It's recessive, of course, so they do come out of nowhere. VERY fun!

Jennifer

4. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

So if they were bred back to a NZW they would all have pink eyes?

How would you go about developing a NZW with blue eyes?

That's just so cool!

5. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

Yep, you breed those to the average REW NZW and you'll get REWs again. But if awfulestes has a buck and can breed it back to Mom again, should be well on the way to getting it established in the NZW.

If you are starting from the word "Go" for BEWs, then you have to get the gene first. I know it's in Netherland Dwarfs as an accepted ARBA variety. Not sure what else has it. I think it's lose in the Dutch and is a disqualification with them. I'm not into showing rabbits, so I don't know much about it. If you went with the BEW NDs you'd have some fun getting them up to meat size again. :)

I think it would be nice, though. I'm just not stuck on pink eyed rabbits. They can call it ruby all they want, they're PINK!

Jennifer

6. Bernadette

Bernadette Enjoying Polish Rabbits

Woah! My bottle babies - there were three white rabbits, one "pink" eyed white (which I lost), and two with blue eyes! I have one, and a friend Darren has the other. Doe was a cross between a New Zealand and Champagne, and the buck was a Giant Chinchilla. Hmm.

7. awfulestes

awfulestes Well-Known Member

Oh so interesting. I have an orange holland lop doe that was bred to the tan buck- she has one huge little boy that is creme colored. If I keep him and breed to the little blue eyed doe (with same sire) could the babies have blue eyes?
    I promise to post a pic soon as possible.