Blue Butts, by any other name..........

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by TexCountryWoman, Apr 4, 2006.

1. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I know little of pig breeds and this may be a simpleton queston. But do Blue Butts have another name? They are a breed I have had a few times in the past for freezer hogs and was just wondering if that was a local name or if that is the actual name. They are just as it sounds, white with a blue butt. Thanks.

2. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

It's the only name I know them by and it has been my experience that others familiar with pigs know them by that name as well, regardless of location. I have a blue butt sow right now due to farrow in 7 weeks by a york boar. She's the only pig that has ever tried to bite me but she's an auction pig I got recently and don't know her background. Needless to say I am not too enamoured of the sow but I'm sure it isn't her fault. They do fit their name though, as you said :)

3. tiergarten-CO

tiergarten-CO Well-Known Member

a blue butt is a cross from a york and hamp.

4. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Why do they come out uniformly white with blue butts?

5. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

just how the genes work. If you start crossing other stuff, you will get other patterns. We bred a hamp cross colored like a hamp to a york boar (all white) and had a pig with nothing but blue on her eyes. Plus other blue butts. Her picture is on the first page of my web site. We then bred her to a hamp boar and had a pig that was white with some black on her hip and head. We then bred her to a pure hamp boar and had all hamp colored pigs. They will be weaned in two weeks. We are keeping a female out of this gilt as we love the mothering ability, and the ability to raise champions in the show ring. I will come back with a hamp or york on her next year.