blue butt boar for sale

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by DMC_OH, Dec 4, 2003.

1. DMC_OH

DMC_OH Well-Known Member

we are wanting to sell my boar his is a blue butt and about 8 months old. we have decided to go with A.I. instead. I live in the South Eastern ohio kinda close to Columbus. I am not asking for a price I am asking for offers. So contact me if you would like to have him. You could also email me at corpd@netpluscom.com. Thanks
    P.S.Oh yeah if you do not know what a blue butt is I have read they are a cross breed between a hamshire and a large white.

2. Farmall

Farmall Active Member

Course Im only 56, breen around hogs alla my life. Never seen the variety you suggest till I came to Okla. And here they call it Blue Buck Boar or Gilt/Sow. I have NEVER heard of blue butt variety

3. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

I did a web search....it IS blue butt.

4. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Here they are called Blue butts and are quite common at fairs. In fact many kids prefer them since they seem to take the ribbons. As the name implies they have a blue (it's off black really) rump and the rest is white. Good luck selling him. I know a lot of breeders that keep a boar on premises even though they AI. I just used the spray to detect heat with my domestic sows- no boar.

5. DMC_OH

DMC_OH Well-Known Member

well thanks for the luck. My boar is a little short for my sow. and well my husband and I were talking and we think A.I. is better to go. Also had to do a search for blue butt when I first heard of the breed. I live the country and I know sometimes people call things different. So I did a web search also about a year ago. I have read it is a cross between a large white and a hamshire

6. Hi I'm a newbie and wanted to ask some questions?...hubby and I are wanting to raise a couple pigs to butcher....would this be a good breed? how old should we be looking for? I live in Ohio....50 miles east of Columbus and 50 miles north of Athens....and what is a boar and AI? thanks and God bless
    Christy

7. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's the cross, don't know iif the white is Yorkshire or Landrace or any of them. They are the singlemost popular pig at our 4H fair every year. AI with swine is definitely the best way to go, imo.

8. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. I'm not an expert but I can help you with some answers. A blue butt is a nice pig for the home, we haven't raised one but as I've said already they are very popular and that must be for good reason. I'm not sure if I am partial to any breed but now that I have white 1/2 Yorks 1/2 durocs that are very long, I'm looking forward to their first offspring for butchering. A boar is a male pig. He is a breeder usually, not good for eating. A barrow is a castrated male that is raised for butchering. For home use you can start looking for a pig that is around 40 pounds and then raise him to a suitable size for your family. We butchered our first wasa Duroc cross at 250 pounds and the pork has lasted for six months with more left. It was very hard to do ourselves so next time we will only raise to about 150 pounds. AI stands for artificial insemination, it is a very handy way of getting the finest genetics available every year without he expense and hassle of buying and selling a boar every year. Hope this helps a little.

9. daileyjoy

daileyjoy Well-Known Member

Hello just a little note to say if he has not been sold you are free to post him for sale on the Barterboard. Animals are a welcome addition to the board. Good luck

Jennifer

10. DMC_OH

DMC_OH Well-Known Member

I would think any breed is good for raising for the freezer. just look for the best deal. i bought my firts two for 15. a piece and the last two was 35. Just look. Good luck