Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
In Memorium
15,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I rather expected it!

We've had a terribly dry summer. Then, last week, we had a week of rain, so there we are! The big tomatoes have a terminal case of it but the cherry tomatoes are doing all right.

Oh well.....Mother Nature keeps us humble.

(More rain today and tonight!)

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
I throw a handful of oyster shells in the hole when planting and when they put on fruit I top dress with it. That way everytime I water they get a dose of calcium. Since tomatoes like to grow in the same place every year, soon, you have plenty of calcium build up. I do the same for my peppers and any heavy calcium feeder.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Ardie, try sprinkling either 2 T. epsom salts or powdered milk (dry) around each plant. You could even mix the powdered milk, according to package instructions, and water each plant. If you put some on the leaves, that will help, too.

·
Premium Member
23,923 Posts
Ardie, not a lot you can do about it at this point. Any soil amendments would have had to be added at the start of the season.

But you've already hit the nail on the head: Dry followed by lots of wet causes BER. I have a lot of splitting tomatoes for the same reason. It's been so wet here that the mosquitoes are having conventions in the beds, and a good deal of the tomato vines have drowned.

Humbling indeed. But, just like being a Cubs fan, there's always next year! (And yeah, I know the Cubs are in first place, but let's face it: they have a history of blowing it at the end of August. Let's wait until after the Brewers series.)

Pony!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.