Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Discussed planting Bloody Butcher corn last year, planted a small amount of the expensive seed, saved seed planted about a 100 foot row this year. Corn grew about 12 feet high with one 8-10 inch ear on each stalk. Did not gather any at the right time for fresh corn and was letting the rest mature and dry. I have a hand grinder and that corn make wonderful corn meal and grits(I know some of you do not have an appreciation for grits, that's all right, some of us like them enough to make up for the others). I had been watching the corn out of concern for some pests harvesting it for me. Wife told me tonight after being in the garden picking peas that something had eaten part of 2-3 ears. I went and picked it all, shucking it as I picked it . Got 2 five gallon buckets full which is now spread out to finish drying in a secure building. Suspect raccoons. If one comes back with some more recruits they are going to be mad when they find nothing that lives up to the advertising, LOL.

COWS

·
Premium Member
25,226 Posts
Ive never seen it grow. Being that tall, it wouldn't work here. Too windy. Dad said they had grown it in NE Kans back in the 30s/40s. He didn't say anything bd about it.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
My bloody butcher didn't make this year 'cause of the weather. There is another one out there I want to try next year. It is "kentucky butcher" They say it will reach 12 to 18 feet tall and multiple ears of 14 inches.I've got to try this just to see if it's true. I can't even imagine seeing a stalk of corn 18 feet tall!

Wade

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Mine is doing well, letting it dry on the stalk. It's close to the house so no ***** so far. Our ***** are lazy if it's too high up they don't want to work for it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts