blood tubes!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Caprice Acres, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Where do I find blood tubes? I found the vacuum tubes at pbs animal supply, but those aren't the tubes I can ship in. I need either plastic or glass screw top vials, or glass vials with rubber stoppers to ship them to the testers... This place is the pan american vet labs in tx, does anyone know of a testing facility closer to me, or that I don't have to find screw top vials/rubber stopper vials for? They only sell those in like packs of 500-1000, and for like 150+ dollars. Er.

2. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

Would your vet's office sell you a few?

We get our supplies for goat fecals from our small animal vet for a very reasonable price - even though the goats go to a different vet.

Lynda

3. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

donna i send the blood to waddl for cae and cl. i use the vaccutainer from pbs, they do have rubber stopper.
    you can call them and ask every question you might have. they are very friendly. Phone: 509-335-9696
    http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts_waddl/

i have not heard about screw on tubes.

4. Caprice Acres

They have a shipping and handling charge of something like 15.00 + 2.00 a tube. Plus 13.00 a goat for just the tests... I think it's cheaper at the pan american place... I"m going to email the pan american place again to see if those vacuum thingies are acceptable... Everything else costs a TON, if you can even find them!
    My dog/cat vet probably won't sell the vials to me, they don't think that I should be doing any of my own vet work on any of my animals, really. My livestock vet... I don't trust him very much with my goats... They probably wouldn't have any idea of what I was talking about if I were to ask about testing my goats.

5. susanne

i don't know what kind of test you want to do but cae test at waddl cost $5.25
    and case fee of $10 and that includes the whole herd.
    shipping cost would be equal no matter which lab you use.
    also you want a reliable lab to run the test. what kind of test methode is used at the labs you want to use?

6. Caprice Acres

the ELISA method, whatever that means.

the shipping for the other place was estimated at 5 something dollars, and didn't charge per tube.

I"m doing the CL and CAE tests. the cost at the pan american place is 11.00 per goat for both tests... I thought that was good.

** I got the email back from the dude, he said the pbs supply tubes are just fine. Thank goodness, lol. I'll be ordering them soon. How do they work... Are they like vaccine bottles with nothing in it? Do you use a regular syringe to draw blood, then inject it into the tube? or do you use a special transfer needle or the like to just poke the goat and draw blood straight into the tube?

thanks,

7. susanne

no clue what you are saying. no one charges shipping per tube

regular syringe with needle works just fine.

8. Caprice Acres

it said something like a 2.00 service charge per tube or something like that... let me recheck...

nevermind, I just rechecked and I misread it. I think I'll still go through the pan american place though just because it's easier to navigate on their website and I've already got their order form completed and everything.

9. Caprice Acres

OK another thing I needed to ask is how often I should test my goats. Should I test now, 6 mon. from now, then yearly... or just now then 1 year from now? This is CL and CAE I'm talking about... And what do you think about testing for johne's?

10. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

PAVL runs the same type of test as WADL and the other place.

You can draw the blood with a regular needle or you can get the butterfly type needle that goes right in the vaccutainer. (This is what they use on people when drawing blood. You can pop one container off and put the next one on the needle while it's still in your arm. KWIM?) Anyway, if you use the butterfly needle, the blood goes straight from the goat into the container and the container does the suction for you. if you use a regular syringe, you'll have to draw back on the plunger to get the blood out of the goat's vein and into the syringe. Once the blood is in the regular syringe, you just stick the needle through the rubber cap of the vaccutainer and the suction from the vaccutainer will pull the blood out of the syringe and into the container. That's it. I think the butterfly needles are also hard to find, unless you can buy a case, so it might not be worth the hassle of trying to find them. Good luck!

Edited to add:
    Here are the blood-draw needles that go right into the vaccutainer and pull the blood out of the vein directly into the container. If you haven't ordered your tubes yet, I would go ahead and get these too. It's easier then a regular syringe.
    http://www.pbsanimalhealth.com/cgi-...ectionneedles.html?L+scstore+zpkn1783ff779277

11. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

Donna I have a few extra blood tubes. They are the glass, red top rubber stopper kind. I use Pan Am Vet Labs also. Dr. Glass is awsome.

See the blood tubes at the bottom of the form here:

http://cottoneyeddoesdairygoats.com/Breedingtable.html

Sold in sets of 5 only.

BE SURE to put your mailing address on the Paypal payment form where you want the tubes mailed to.

Chris

Christye9916@cs.com

12. Caprice Acres

This sounds perfect! I'll need to show my dad your website, I'm sure we'll be ordering from you soon!