Blood meal???

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by allenslabs, Apr 27, 2005.

1. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

I had no idea that people use blood meal in cattle food. I think that's gross! Now sorry if any of you use it but I just don't think that cattle are meant to eat blood. I know it's probably dried and made into a powder or something I don't really know but I would think that cattle are meant to eat plants..... they're herbivores..... plant eaters. What do you all think of this? I know it's an organic fertilizer and all but .... well.... yuck! To think that is possibly passed into the milk from your cow into the glass you drink..... ugh.

2. BDB

BDB BDB

your right that is pretty nasty thats why they have so many problems with BSE keep feedin cows livestock stuff there not suposed to eat thats all i feed my cows grass and hay not byproducts from other animals the same thing with pigs they give people in my state a permit to feed em garbage thats nasty to

3. astrocow

astrocow Well-Known Member

I agree. It's not right to fool a herbivore into eating protein obtained from meat. That is bound to lead to problems down the road. I don't care what the scientists say, given enough time mutations will allow a disease previously only found in one species the ability to jump and successfully cause disease in another species. Perhaps the symptoms will be differant in another type of animal but a disease is a disease just the same. It all comes down to the almighty dollar. How many pounds of meat can be raised for the lowest number of dollars?
    Leigh

4. unioncreek

unioncreek Well-Known Member Supporter

I think since the BSE thing came up that it is illegal to feed any protein supplement made from cattle. I would assume that blood meal is included in that. But I could be wrong.

Bobg

5. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

I could go down and buy feed with blood meal in it. No idea why it's still sold, but it is.

BTW: I would never buy it...

Jeff

6. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

The proscription of animal byproducts in feed to cattle is for nerve tissue. The government, being there for the big producers, still has its head buried in the sand regarding BSE. They seem to think that the slaughter houses can keep nerve tissue from contaminating other byproducts. The man who did most of the initial work on prions in the US has stated that the battle is basically lost because of the widespread use of bloodmeal and bonemeal as garden fertilizers.
    That said, there is nothing wrong with feeding leftover food from restaurants and groceries to hogs. Two points: The slops have to be cooked before they can be fed. And, hogs are omnivores just like humans, they eat both vegetable and animal matter. When I was a kid we got the slops from our grade school for our pigs. Part of the job of getting it ready for the pigs was getting all the silverware out. Luckily, the old waxed paper milk cartons were edible for the pigs. I'd rather feed slops than commercial feed anyday.

7. Tom McLaughlin

Tom McLaughlin Tom

To think that is possibly passed into the milk from your cow into the glass you drink..... ugh.[/QUOTE]

I've wondered the same thing and got looking at feed labels and most contain Vit. D3 which is extracted from animal skin ... D-activated animal sterol.. I guess the ban on using animal by-products only applies to certain animal by-products.

8. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

It is illegal in this country to feed any animal by-product to any ruminant animal and all commercial feeds are clearly marked as such. For obvious reasons, I would have thought that this would have been common sense in any country. I'm really quite appalled that your country still allows the feeding of animal by-products to ruminants given the ever increasing problems with BSE which have been directly linked to this practice.

Christiaan I'm a bit hazy on the laws in this country regarding pig swill because they keep changing them and I disregard them anyway because I cook all second-hand food that comes my way. As you say, pigs are omnivores and as we don't have F&M in this country, I probably don't need to cook everything but again, it just seems common sense to do so. It takes away the very small risk as well as lessens the chances of the likes of salmonella. And I know what you mean about retrieving the cutlery - and in one case a wedding ring. :)

Cheers,
    Ronnie

9. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing as unioncreek- that all animal by-products were banned. FDA/USDA still allows blood meal and a few other byproducts for ruminant feed- including horse meat!

http://frwebgate6.access.gpo.gov/cg...SdocID=693665521723+8+0+0&WAISaction=retrieve

FDA is considering random feed testing since ruminant protein is still showing up in ruminant feed. There was a thread on the goat forum a few months ago about feeding dog food to meat goats. Unreal.

10. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I have to say that I'm absolutely shocked. I was one of those that thought that the ban of feeds containing animal byproducts was strict and compreshensive in the US. With all the information that we have on the issue, I can't see why anyone would knowingly use these products.

11. allenslabs

Thank you guys! I was thinking I must be the only one that didnt know about this and really beginning to feel dumb. I thought it was outlawed as well. Anyone know what animal protein products are? I'm wondering if that is another way to disguise that.

12. astrocow

astrocow Well-Known Member

You know, they can ban certain ingredients from being used in certain feeds, but when the machinery isn't cleaned properly you get pig pellets mixed in with the layer pellets and so on. At a local fishfarm they found what looked like dogfood in the bags of trout food. We have unidentifiable pellets, differant colour and length in our hens laying ration. Who knows what that is. Who's to say what those strange pellets are that some may see in a bag of dairy ration.?

Leigh

13. BDB

BDB BDB

theres nothin wrong with feeding pigs leftover food and vegetables what I am talkin about are these people that back up a garbage truck to a pig pen and dump it in the pen

14. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

It's why you go to the operation (pending how big you are, and your needs), that is run by the very same person who helps you load your truck with grain. We buy our corn meal, and other grains from the aformentioned person. He grinds his own, and does not add any animal byproducts to his grain, he is against it as well. I wish he sold organic grains (for the future), as I would rather buy his over any other places. Organic or not, I really like how its ground too, they seem to digest it a lot easier.

Jeff

15. allenslabs

Thing is that blood meal is considered an organic fertilizer so it might be actually considered an organic feed I don't know. And also.... some people buy their ram milk straight from the farm as they want healthier. But a lot of commercial dairies feed that stuff so it's really no better I don't guess. It is in some ways but not in others I guess would fit. Unless you knew what was fed and why.

16. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

The thing is, nothing is organic (as far as what the organic deffinition is, talking certified organic), it does rain doesn't it? :). We have to look at all the rules, etc, and I get a yuck out of it all. Here you can use oxytocin to help let the milk down, but you have to get rid of the cow if it is given antibiotics to SAVE it's life? Come on.....

Jeff

17. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

Allenslabs, organic certification standards prohibit any animal by-products in organic animal feed. That includes blood meal, urea, and chicken manure.
    The FDA/USDA is considering banning chicken manure in cattle feed because there could be some ruminant protein in spilled/undigested chicken feed in the manure pack.
    Barf.

18. beeman97

beeman97 Well-Known Member

how can they ban the use of animal byproducts in feed but allow manure, this has never made any sence to me what so ever.
    As far as the Certified organic standards they are a complete joke no matter what angle you look at them from. It has all been designed now witht he BIg guys in mind so they can put that label on there products, still use all the same stuff they were before & charge alot more money for there stuff.
    The people who truely care about there animals, how they are raised, what they eat, & how happy they are while they are doing it have again been pushed back so the big guys can keep the all mighty $$$$$$.
    one thing yet to have been brought up in this thread is the milk replacer, you cannot buy one that does NOT have blood, or byproducts in it. i tried, & no matter where i went all the stuff had it in it. so what are you suspose to do let your babies die because you can't get what you want for them to eat?
    I'm with jeff in the idea of where to get your feed. i go to small mills, or the growers themselves here locally & talk to them, get to know them, find out what they are about & then choose the best for my feed options, it has not been easy though & i've been ripped off more then one time because i want DE in my feeds & they neglect to put it there & then charge me for it anyway.
    Enough of my Rant i guess.
    thanks
    Rick

19. allenslabs

YEp, I use a small local mill. I try not to go to big places, everywhere here is local owned and generally operated w/ their own feeds. Here is what I feed my goats and can be fed to my horses or cows.... it's a 12% all stock sweet feed:
    Grain products, plant protein products, processed grain byproducts, calcium carbonate, salt, dicalcium phosphate, molasses products, magnesium sulfate, potassium sulfate, potassium chloride, magnesium oxide, vit a acetate in gelatin, vd3 supp, vit e supp, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, manganous oxide, copper sulfate, ethylenediamine dihydriodide, cobalt carbonate, sodium selenite

Anything nasty in there I missed? I think it's pretty decent and my animals love it! I didnt see anything that seemed nasty. Let me know though!!

20. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

I'm far from being any expert with grain, but that all looks good to me.

Jeff