blood level question

Discussion in 'Home Defense/Guns' started by uyk7, May 21, 2004.

1. uyk7

uyk7 Well-Known Member

If, back in the 1980's, a particular blood test level was considered "within normal limits" (wnl) but today those "normal" limits are much lower, would that be considered a service connected problem? My thyroid levels were considered normal back then but today they would have been considered low and I would have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism back then.

2. Jaclynne

Jaclynne Well-Known Member Supporter

This is just my opinion, but I think the lowering of acceptable/safe numbers in health tests are directly related to the big push by drug conglomerates to get as many customers as possible. They fund the studies- they profit by the results.

Halo

3. Bob in WI

Bob in WI Well-Known Member

I think you are right Halohead.

I was to the Doctor last week and he said that the new standard for cholesterol levels will now be 180 instead of 200. This new information should hit the press in a few months.

He said that that would cause almost 20% more of the population to be suddenly too high in cholesterol.

If you got money buy drug stocks that make cholesterol medicines. They will only be going up.

I am beginning to have very little faith in "medical research" which can be done for several reasons beyond the correct one.

They can be done in such a way that they almost assure more grant and research money for themselves in the future. (The job security scam.)

They can also be done to benefit a certain pharmacuetical company with a new drug that is about ready to hit the market. (Deceive the public scam.)

They can be done with a federal grant, and by limiting the information or setting up the trials in such a way that it will need more research. (This is the screw the taxpayers method of research.)

4. uyk7

uyk7 Well-Known Member

Ask a simple question. I do not care about "why" the normal limits were lowered.

5. Bob in WI

Bob in WI Well-Known Member

If you are looking for a disability check it is very unlikely you will get one with a thyroid problem. Thyroid problems occur in a significant portion of the general population, irregardless of military service. Pills can relieve most all of the symptoms and problems.

Probably the only way it would be considered a service related disability, is if you regularly handled highly radioactive componenets. They can and do take a toll on the thyroid gland. Otherwise you are probably out of luck.

6. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Uyk7, there is a NON service connected pension if you served in a time of conflict, it is not necesssary to have served in combat. If the thyroid is keeping you from working after medications are tried, then you could look into the pension. 100% is presently $824.00 per month, and qualifying is difficult - there must be minimual assets, no more than 60 days of incarasion per lifetime, discharge other than dishonorable, and a few lesser things also. People other than military also qualify, such as merchant marines whom served in the right place at the right time, and other exceptions, includeing civilians whom were work assigned to combat areas.

To gain a service connected pension you must produce a positive link, via medical definations to show that you recieved the disability via military action while on active duty. Discuss this with your local vets rep, the VA does vary via different locations. Medical services should be available to you if you qualify the time era, income restrictions, ect.

7. OUVickie

OUVickie Well-Known Member Supporter

Not necessarily related to service. This condition can come on for many reasons - as a result of age and inctivity, bad diet, and other health problems can affect the thyroid gland including depression.