Blood in stools of 500lb heifers

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by She'sgonecountry, Nov 19, 2005.

1. She'sgonecountry

She'sgonecountry Look at them Boots

Hi there.

We are relitively new cattle people. We have one dairy cow that I milk every day, but just aquired 4 - 500lb Highland heifers to hopefully start a small herd. They came from an auction (bad, I know).

Anyways, They are doing well and prefer to be in the bush rather than eating the hay and medicated calf feed we are giving them.

One of them has blood in it's stools and we just noticed it last night. I would say it is no more than a tablespoon each time and it is not in every stool. I think it is from just one of them, and not from all, but of course, I do not know which one. :shrug:

Should I be worried about coccidiosis at their age? I have had chickens and goats get it so I know the damage it can do in very short time and I am worried. I was goign to put Amprolium in their water, but the bottle is $100....so I just wanted to get experienced cattle people's opinions before I go ahead with it. I have no problem with spending $$ on them to get them better, but want to make sure this is the route I should take or call the Vet and get stool samples first and/or de-worm??

Someone told me it could be just from shipping stress, but I am not happy with that.......I think there is more going on.

If I am leaving any important info out, please let me know.

Thanks for any help!

Andrea

Edited to add : The blood is bright red, and their stools are generally "firm" (by cow standards) with the odd looser one.

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I would be concerned with hardware disease.

3. Celtic Herritag

Celtic Herritag Celtic Heritage Farms

Is it liquid blood or does it appear to contain tissue, if it has tissue in it call your vet, their intestines are sloughing off. I doubt it's coccidiosis, coccidiosis is a very watery diarrhea, you'd be able to tell which ones had it by the nasty crusts on thier hind ends and tails. How are they acting? Up and livley or deppresed and dull looking. If everyone appears healthy then just wait a day to see if it will clear up, but if anyone is down take thier temp, and call your vet, you don't want to loose your new investment.

4. Hammer4

Hammer4 Well-Known Member

I would get in touch with your vet, at least to get an opinion on how you should care for the animal.