Blood in stool

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Bubbas Boys, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Bubbas Boys

Bubbas Boys Well-Known Member

Our week old jersey calves have traces of blood in stool. Is that normal? We ned to treat for something. Stool is loose but not more than I would expect out of milk only. ???

2. Rosepath

Rosepath Well-Known Member

Did they have colostrum (wherever they were born)? I don't think it's normal, might be good to have them vet-checked. So little, they can be susceptible to lots of nasty bugs or viruses. Nothing cuter than a little jersey calf :) Hope they get better soon.

3. haypoint

haypoint Well-Known Member Supporter

I have no idea how trustworthy your assessment is. Blood in calves manure is often a sign of later stages of scours. I don't know if you know the different consistency between hot butterscotch pudding and just out of the 'fridge butterscotch pudding. I don't know if your nose is fully trained to detect healthy poop and "going to die tomorrow" poop smell.

Raising calves is hard. Raising someone's cast offs a little harder. Knowing the difference comes with wisdom. You gain wisdom with experience. Some gain experience by cultivating a close relationship with their Veterinarian and following their directions to a T. Some gain experience by burying calves until they figure it out. It is a tough learning curve, but still better to be the farmer than the calf.

Get the most trusted advice on site that you can afford. Listen to them. Gauge their results.

G. Seddon and topside1 like this.
  4. Rosepath

Rosepath Well-Known Member

haypoint likes this.
  5. haypoint

haypoint Well-Known Member Supporter

6. Bubbas Boys

Bubbas Boys Well-Known Member

Thanks for askin! He is eating good. Full of energy. Havent been able to see any more blood in stools.

haypoint and CrabbyChicken like this.
  7. Wild_Bill

Wild_Bill Well-Known Member

I get some at times. I used to freak out about everything. You may never see it again. If he slows down on the bottles for a few days get him checked. get the vet, but should be fine

Bubbas Boys likes this.