blood in milk

Discussion in 'Goats' started by goat mother, Apr 25, 2005.

1. goat mother

goat mother Active Member

i Have Read A Few Threads And Have A Few ?'s 1st Let Me Say We Are New. I Love The Goats, We Just Bought Our 1st 100% Boer Buck And Boy Is He Big And Long. We Did Only Our 4-h Goat's Now We Have 18 Goats. We Love It. Kidding Is So Great. We Had A Few Things Happen, One Doe Had 2 Kid's We Did Not Know That One Of Her Udder's Were Rock Hard, Mastitis, We Used Today But It Only Worked In One.
    Now That One Has Blood When It Is Milked Down It Is Really Bloody. Toward The End Of The Milking. The Kids Are 2 Weeks Now. Other One Is Like A Rock No Milk. This Is Her 3 Rd Kidding. I Am New At Milking Also. Am I Doing It Wrong, To Hard, To High Up,and How Long Will The Blood Stay And Is It Safe For Her Kid's To Drink? I Am Giving Them Some Milk Replacement For 5 Days Now, They Were So Hungery. She Is Such A Great Mother. Next Year Will She Have Mastitis In That Udder?
    I Know I Have Went Long On This Letter But, I Need The Help.
    Any Help For This Greenhorn Is A Blessing, Thank You P.s. I Hope I Have Done This Right.

2. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

I've been fortunate...only small udder problems. They have not come back year after year.

I have a friend that kept a goat with a continual mastitis problem. Blood in milk and blood after milking.

She had the vet look at it and show and tell her how to treat it.

I do know that this goat has this same problem every single birthing. But if I have a goat with a repeated problem, I would have to consider the worth of the goat in order to keep any problems on my farm. Sometimes they are such pets that you put up with whatever.

3. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

ok, treat with today, both of the does, and I had one like that hard no milk. I rubbed her udder, and put warm towels on it, and she had today, for 10 days straight, and it finially worked. you just have to hang in there, I also gave pen g.
    now the kids can't have her milk, you will have to dump the milk that you get. I hope you got the colstrum out, and
    gave it to those kids. then you can give them store bought whole milk, regular vitamin d milk, and the kids will do fine. but get those udders straightened out. you might want to get a vet.

4. goat mother

goat mother Active Member

THANK GOODNESS I KNEW THAT THEY NEED THE FIRST MILK AND THEY GOT IT FOR 2 DAYS FROM THE GOOD UDDER. THE FEED STORE DID NOT TELL ME I HAD TO USE TODAY FOR A FEW DAYS, HE JUST GAVE ME THE TUBE AND TOLD ME TO PUT IT IN HER TEAT, THANK YOU I WILL GO BUY MORE TODAY, ENOUGH FOR 4-5 DAYS. THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH FOR HELPING SO FAST.
    GOAT MOTHER

5. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

They have 2 kinds of treatment the kind for lactating cows (Today) and for Dry Cows (Tomorrow). Like debitabor said you will need to use the Today infused into the udder for several days if you have an infection bad enough to be bloody. You had asked if they would get Mastitis next year...they might, but then they may not. At the end of their lactation, when you get ready to dry them up. Decrease their grain, go to milking once a day, then when you are ready to stop milking get you some TOMORROW. Milk the doe out completely, infuse BOTH sides of the udder with a full tube of TOMORROW, strip it up the teat and into the udder and massage the udder and then let her go. No more milking. Leave the TOMORROW in the udder. It will be absorbed by her body. Go to zero amount of grain, only some good hay, maybe some alfalfa pellets and water. No getting on the milk stand and no stoking the udder, nothing that will make her let her milk down. If she should fill up so full that she is uncomfortable and you feel you have to milk her out, milk her out completely again and reinfuse the udder both sides as before and then no more milking.

6. livestockmom

livestockmom Well-Known Member

Thank you Christine for your description on how to dry up a doe, I always wondered how I was going to do that!

Also, the info about the today. I too had a doe with pink milk and only did the Today once in each side, I didnt know to do it for a couple of days...
    I whole tube in each udder for a couple of days? back to the feed store I go...