Blood clot while milking

Discussion in 'Goats' started by BlessedMom, Jul 27, 2004.

1. BlessedMom

BlessedMom Well-Known Member

This morning while milking our goat one side seemed to "stop up" and when I pushed the issue a blood clot came out. Is this a sign of something wrong?
    I strain the milk as I milk her so it was strained out immediately. Is it okay to use this milk? We drink it raw and not pasturized.

Thanks,
    BlessedMom

2. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

We are having this problem also. We disposed of the milk. We have small black bugs that fly hanging around the stanchion. Could these have come from the goat? The milk? Don't think it is mastitis as the teat is not hot and the milk is not stringy. Should the milk be tested by a lab? Hope we get answers from the goat folks. Most of the real knowledgeable folks have left for the other forum. Too bad.

3. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

heavy milkers will often get blood clots in their udders. should heal in a few days to a couple weeks. i had more than one milking at the time i had the problem, so fed her milk to babies or pigs-it usually happens soon after freshening. wouldn't drink the milk, until it was no longer pink tinted.

4. GoatTalkr9

GoatTalkr9 Well-Known Member

I'm going through the same thing. I have one doe who has shown a few small blood clots,and pink tinged milk. Since it could be from my daughter milking her one day instead of me (she pulled some on the teat as she milked),I'm giving the doe 7 days. If it hasn't cleared up I'm going to get her milk tested.She doesn't have any other symptoms than the blood clots/pink milk. Please don't delay getting the milk tested if you don't see improvement soon. I haven't been drinking the milk. I've been giving it to the dogs,as much as it pains me to see all that milk not come into my kitchen! :waa: