Blood Analysis..."Whose Data is IT"??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by fordy, Aug 3, 2005.

1. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...........Heading to my family GP's office at 8:15 am to give blood for analysis . The cost of 150 was paid by me as I have NO ins. So , I'm wanting to control WHO has access to my test results . The girl told me all I have to do is go to a website and I can access "my data" . I'm sure this info will be stored on a large Data base and sold and accessed by ins comp's , law enforcement , etc . My position is , I paid for the results and NO ONE has a Right to keep my Personal Info on a DB for sale to others . I haven't discussed this situation with anyone at the Doctor's office , YET , and I don't want to make them upset but I'm very set in my viewpoint on this issue .
    ..........I NEED some advise on how to Diplomatically express my concerns and still maintain good Karma with my Doctor , thanks , fordy.. :)

2. mzzlisa

mzzlisa Well-Known Member

Good Luck on that one! If you can figure out how to make your medical records YOURS, please let me know. I wanted my MRI scans to take to a neurologist and I was told they had to be back in 30 days. I asked why. I was told that they are part of my permanent records. I thought what would they do if I didn't bring them back, hold me at gunpoint?

Between me and my insurance company, we paid almost $5000 for those scans, I should be able to use them as wallpaper if I feel like it. But I was a good girl and gave them back. Next time, I'm testing the limit!

I think its a way for Those That Keep Tabs On Us, to continue. They say they're not used, but I bet the day will come when a possible employer could look at them and decide on hiring you based on how many times you went the the doctor (therefore missing work), or a mortgage company giving you a loan based on any ailments and possible life/work expectancy. Scary isn't it?

3. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

How about start by asking about their privacy policy? Seems everyone and his brother has one these days so it wouldn't be out of place to ask. The test would be done by another company though wouldn't it? Seems all the doctors around here use Quest Diagnostics (who I hate with a purple passion) - here is a link to their privacy policy:
    http://www.questdiagnostics.com/privacy_practices.html

4. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

i agree with the privacy policy bit. i signed some special forms stating that only my husband could have my medical information without me signing an aditional "one time use" type form. If someone else were able to access my data i would sue as that is a violation of the privacy act. ask your doctor and be firm about your needs/wants.

5. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

....................Thank You'll for your input . I'm thinking of suggesting to them that they simply enter a fake name and some number or whatever is required . If , they won't work with me I'm going to ask for a refund or a credit balance that I can use to pay for future office visits at 74 apop!! . If , I PAY , the INFO is MINE , and I will not lose control of MY info . thanks , fordy.. :eek:

6. mzzlisa

mzzlisa Well-Known Member

7. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

When I've paid without insurance I've just made up all the answers to the medical inquisition papers, including my name.

I am the client and am paying them just for a service.

I don't care if they DO sell all that made up junk info on Mr. Bill E. Neswome