Blond tailed squirrels

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Kathy in MD, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Kathy in MD

Kathy in MD Well-Known Member Supporter

I know there are brown squirrels, gray squirrels and black squirrels, but squirrels with blond tails. It’s not only one but about four running around here with blond tails. Maybe they found my peroxide bottle. Maybe only their hairdresser knows for sure????

Does anyone else have blond haired squirrels running around?????

2. I don't know about blond tails but do know that there's a little burg somewhere near Springfield, MO, that is known for it's white squirrels.

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    I have seen a palamino skunk before, or so it appeared; turned out to be its den was through wet clay.

4. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

In Liberty, MO, which is close to K.C. has lots of white squirrels and sometimes they will breed with the regular squirrels and you will see unusual sights, like white tails. I don't think I've seen really a blond tail on one, but maybe it's something like that.

5. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

i saw a squirrel like this the other day. it was road kill, but caught my eye because of the white tail. there is a town, olney, il, which has white squirrels near here, but too far away for their squirrels to be mixing with ours. i've only seen the one, but then i haven't really been looking.

strange. maybe it's from eating cicadas.

jena

6. Leigh*

Leigh* Member

I see you live in Maryland. I used to live in that area, and I saw a few squirrels with orangey-blonde tails. They really looked like a bad bleach job. I believe they're just an odd color variation. If you watch wildlife enough, you see all kinds of things!

7. pinemead

pinemead Well-Known Member

Don't know where you live in MD, but there is a town on Kent Island that was well known for its white squirrels, they even have one on the town seal. A friend of mine has one living in his back yard. She is pure white. He named her Pearl. He is an amature photographer and has taken lots of shots of her. There is also a restaurant that has a little gift shop full of white squirrel items. The name is The White Squirrel, of course. Maybe the one you saw is a mixed one.

8. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

Olney, Illinois has Albino Squirls, there have been professors and such doing studies and stuff.

Albinos of the....Illinois Basin
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. LisaBug

LisaBug Well-Known Member

We've had a couple squirrels with blonde tails. The body of one was the colour of really old chocolate (the funky bloom it gets) with a very light tail. The other had a grayish body with blonde tail. We also have black squirrels but no albinos that we know of. Because one showed up a year before the other we think perhaps the first blonde one was a parent of the other. They were pretty nifty to have around.

LisaBug

10. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

In the little town where I teach, there is a regular brown squirrel with a blonde tail. Is this a genetic mutation that is occurring across the continent?

Is it the result of ozone depletion? global warming? pecan tree spraying? :no:

11. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Sounds similar to the apricot variation of wood ducks. Just a genetic thing that happens, just like the whites and silvers.

12. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

I will trade three raccoons for three white squirrels,but you have to catch the coons.
    BooBoo<---- Who doesnt like raccoons!

13. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

no deal. i got a skunk i'll trade for the coons. you catch the skunk!

jena

14. OUVickie

OUVickie Well-Known Member Supporter

A friend of mine here at work is a squirrel watcher and feeds them from her hand. She said a few years back when they were housed in a different building on Campus, she had a squirrel friend with a blond streak - don't remember if it was just the tail or not. I guess it's a mutation, she named her "Floozy". :D

We have one at home that has a gray stripe down it's back. At first I thought it was a chipmunk, but after checking her out through our field glasses, she is a squirrel for sure. She now has babies with the same mutation. Pretty cool, huh?! :p

15. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Yelp I like Squirrels

[​IMG]
    :haha:

Maybe it is a young Fox Squirrel,they seem like thier Tails are fluffy and light.

big rockpile

16. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

My old property in Kissimmee, Fla had white squirrels that a local doctor imported from Missouri 60 or 70 years ago. It was cool when they chased each other up trees....looked like a living barber's pole!

17. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Well there all just fancy tree rats, but they are fun to watch.

18. Kathy in MD

Kathy in MD Well-Known Member Supporter

You guys can keep the coons and skunks, I&#8217;m going over to Kent Island and steal a few, Thanks for the info Pinemead.
    Oilpatch-nice pix thank you
    Rockpile-looks yummy
    Jena-I did not think about the cicadas, lord knows there are enough around
    Vickie-my neighbor has pet squirrels she feeds. Where I worked many years ago the squirrels where tame enough to hand feed.

19. pinemead

pinemead Well-Known Member

There's a difference in the white squirrels on Kent Island though - they're not albino. They have brown eyes, not pink. They were apparently almost wiped out at one time, but seem to be making a come back.

20. mountainman

mountainman New Member

As always, you takin the discourse to the lowest possible level.