Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not very "computer savvy" ... but with all the talk about blogs, am considering the possibility of trying one, even though I know absolutely nothing about them.

For those of you who have one ...

Why did you start one and do you keep it up for the same reasons?

How long have you been posting on a blog?

How often do you generally post?

What do you say and why?

Do you use it primarily for "social" purposes or do you use it mostly to promote your farm/business/products?

Do you combine social with business on your blog?

What blog sites do you recommend?

That should be enough questions for now ... it's probably obviously at this point that I'm a complete novice with this and you can definitely start at first grade level ...

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I think there are quite a few people here at HT that have blogs, and hopefully they will also respond to you...

My hubby and I started our "farm" blog I think it was Feb. of this year. Altho I had had veggie gardens for a long time, I had never raised any animals...well, except for family dogs! We were pretty much "city kids" and a few years ago, when real estate prices were higher, we decided to cash out and move someplace a lot cheaper to live....and where we could try to do more "living off the land" so to speak.

We didn't know very much, but our new neighbours helped us a LOT...and answered a lot of questions that we had (and still have, lol).

We were talking one night about everything we had learned and said. "Did you ever think 5 years ago that we would end up here, doing this??" Cuz we never would have dreamed that we would have had this kind of life now.

Then we thought, we couldn't be the Only ones who moved from city to country and didn't know things, and had a lot of learning to do....so we decided to start a blog, mostly so that others could learn along with us.

Also, it is a good way for our families and friends to keep up with what we are doing...as well as having a really good Journal of our daily activities.

I try to post on the blog everyday during the gardening season, and now that that part of the year is over, I am trying to post on other things....we talk about what we're doing, what books we're reading, that kind of thing.

I worked with computers at my job, but I know pretty much Nothing about HTML, php, and all that other stuff....my tech minded son has helped me a couple times to put in code (like for Google Ads, etc) but other than that, we have done it all on our own.

You Should try it, it is not hard at all to do! Blogger.com has templates that you can pick from and from there you just start typing :)

Good luck to you, and if you do decide to start one, Please post here with your blog address...I would love to read it!

If you want to read ours, just click on the link below my name....have fun with your blog!

Annie

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
I just started mine a few weeks ago.
Initially it was going to be for the customers of the farm store to see what was happening in the garden and to check on what was fresh at the store each week.
Now I realize I need a website too so that the customers won't have to wade through me waxing poetic about muck boots or anything.
I used Blogger.com and it could not have been any easier.
My only problem is when I post pics I have to post them in reverse order adn that takes some getting used to.
Easy, easy, easy!!
I posted some GREAT new pics yesterday.. check it out ya'll!

·
Scotties rule!
1,617 Posts
Howdy,
I have many blogs - you can some of them in my tag line below. It's a great way for me to make some extra money.
How do you make money off your blogs?? Is that why people post an interesting bit of information on the forum and then you have to go to their blog to get the rest of the story?

Kathie

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
My daughter keeps up a blog "Chicken Scratch for the Soul" that she started this fall. I love keeping up with her life by checking her blog. She posts 2-3 times a week. A good way for families to keep in touch...

Her recent post was after she came to our place to visit with some city kids she was babysitting....BOK BOK
www.carwilesimplelife.blogspot.com

·
Registered
543 Posts
I make a bit of money off the adds on my blog. I also get A LOT of free stuff for my family because companies will give me items to "review" and then I write about them on my blog and give things away to the people who visit.

I initially started my blog to write about homeschooling, homesteading and the fun things that I do around here. I've had some issues with my daughter and my ex-husband threatening to continually take me to court to change our custody arrangement and that's just taking all my energy and joy away. So, I've not posted much in the past few weeks because I'm just concentrating on my family right now. I plan on posting more very soon, and I'm continuing all my giveaways and reviews...so that's fun and still drawing enough traffic to make a bit of money. I'd make a lot more if I posted regularly though.

The KEY with blogs is posting about something that you find interesting, staying within a "nitch" like homesteading and posting a regular amount on a regular basis. If you post once a week, your readers will enjoy that and grow accustomed to it. If you suddenly change and post less or more, your readers may change or lessen as well. Consistancy works more than anything else.

If you want to make money and use Google's adsense, be sure to follow their terms of service so that they don't get angry and ban your account. It's not happened to me, but I've seen some people punished for blatant violations. If you are a woman, and your blog is at least three months old with at least 30 posts and you own your own domain name (like www.yourimpactmatters.com) then you may qualify for blogher ads. Even if they say that they aren't taking new blogs for ads...sign up and wait to be approved. I make twice as much with blogher ads as I do with adsense!

There are A LOT of sites out there geared to help you make money with your blog or to improve your blog to get more traffic. One that I recommend is www.problogger.com. You might also follow him on twitter. He's wonderful and has the best advice, in my opinion. He also has a wonderful book out there on the market. It is THE BEST book on the subject. Don't buy "How to make millions with your blog" or anything like that - it's a waste of money and you can get most of that informatoin for free. Problogger has true info that is actually helpful and will help you to be a better writer so that your readers want to come back again and again. good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
We started our blog so we could share our craziness with friends and family. No one has our interest in homesteading but likes to follow our progress. Plus we are always changing our ideas and it is like our own little diary to go back and look at.

I went the route of purchasing my own domain name and building a website. I wanted complete control. That route cost money because you need to host your website somewhere. The two free alternatives are www.blogger.com or www.wordpress.com.

Give one of the free ones a whirl and see if you like it.

·
Premium Member
9,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The KEY with blogs is posting about something that you find interesting, staying within a "nitch" like homesteading
I wondered some about this. I've gone to some of the blogs ... from here and from another BB for artists ... and seems that for the most part a blog is about just one thing ...

I have a professional horse/farm website that's well established and successful but I'm thinking I might have fun with a blog that was a little more on the "chatty" side and cover more than just the horses.

That might be a good way to start and once I feel a bit more comfortable with the whole process and see how it works ... and if I will keep up with it ... I can decide whether I want to add a second blog that would relate just to the artwork. At the present time I have a separate page of equine related artwork up on the farm website but I do plan to get another professional website designed and up for the art over the winter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts