Blocky farmer

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by steveaust, Apr 15, 2005.

1. steveaust

steveaust Member

G*day from australia.I have just joined this forum and hope i can be of some help through my experience in bottle rearing calves and repairing machinery.I am a hobby farmer rearing angus/fresian calves on 17 acres of wind swept plains country in the western district of victoria.The term blocky farmer is what the real farmers here call us hobby farmers,not a term of endearment.

2. patarini

patarini Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard mate!

3. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Welcome to the forums. I hope that you will be able to get as much from the forums as your knowledge offers.

We Americans, Yanks, or whatever you wish to call us love the way you speak. Right now I am wishing that the forum was an oral media not written. On the other hand we butcher the English language so badly I expect it disgusts you to have to read it or at least hear it on television. Sigh! I agree.

Anyway, welcome!

4. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

G'day, mate. 'Ow ya goin'? Orright?

5. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

They're speaking in CODE!!!

Welcome aboard - Block farmers one and all.

My wife Wind in her Hair spent a good many years bottle raising calves - though her specialty was Holstein/Brahman crosses. At the time, they were just about giving them away since it cost more to haul them to market as day old calves than they brought at the auction. Her production was pretty "low tech" as compared to today.

Oh, the stories she tells about treating scours and using Burdizzos...she could go on for hours (and usually does)

Welcome again.

6. NativeRose

NativeRose Texas Country Grandma

Welcome steveaust. This is a wonderful site with lots of nice folks and tons of information. It is always interesting to hear from other "foreign" places and how things are done in your area.

7. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Welcome from the American Midwest!

Here they call us little guys "hobby farmers", even if it is not a hobby.

Ah, well! Welcome! Ii's a good life!

8. chas

chas Well-Known Member

Welcome,glad ta have ya around.
    Chas

9. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

Welcome from a Texas redneck.

10. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Welcome from an Okie wannabe.I haven't farmed or homesteaded yet, but I do own 17ac in a VERY rural area.

11. cabe

cabe Well-Known Member

Hello and Welcome Steveaust. I am from many places , but I was born at Annapolis Naval Academy in Maryland U.S.A. I now have about 20 acres in North Carolina deep in Nantahala Mountains, and some land near Georgia. I grow trees , and Ginseng, do woodworking, and hunt, and fish. We used to have cattle, and one time one of our Hereford cows dropped twins. We bottled raised these and it was a chore. Aslo once we had a cow abandon a calf (the calf was huge)and we got a bucket and nipple rig mixing the powder was time consuming but the little fella went thru alot. I enjoyed that more , and this calf did well too.It is very interesting to me that you live in Australia, I have never been there and really want to someday. Welcome in and this is a great place to be. Marty.

12. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

Howdy! When you said "blocky," I thought maybe this was a post from a farmer with a weight problem! :haha: We also have Angus and Angus-cross cattle. When we had dairy cows, sometimes they would not settle to a dairy bull and we would use a beef bull. So we have quite a collection of cross-breds. Hoping to develop a more consistent herd in future. I am the blocky farmer in our family and DH is the full-time one.

13. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Welcome from north Arkansas! I don't think I've ever seen plains, LOL. We have hills and mountains.

I have always wanted to visit Australia, all though you guys seem to have more than your share of poisonous and deadly animals.

14. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) Hello down there in OZ! I live in Oregon but my son is attached to the US Embassy in Canberra and he and his wife are loving their time in your country!

I just saw a program with some rellies on the telly about the Werribe Open Range Zoo there in Victoria. Sounds wonderful and I think I will be visiting it and Canberra at Thanksgiving time.

I hope you are having a nice Fall there. We are just getting into a stormy spring here.

Fire up the barbie and have a good time before winter sets in.

LQ

15. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

welcome. We've got an ex-Aussie whose handle is OZ here too. Sometimes he translates the meaning of things in the land of Oz for us.