Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a four week old orphan lame that bloats about every three or four days. I have been treating him with baking soda water but need to know if there’s something I can do to keep him from bloating. He is on milk replacer and cane hay.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Is this normal? I took his hay and grain away from him. I have had to give him baking soda almost every day because he does this. When he’s bloated he will not eat and he just stands with his head and ears down.

Attachments

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
39,110 Posts
Give him his hay back.

Reactions: jewel777

·
39,110 Posts
Out of my area of expertise on that. Have you tried a 5cc dose of salad oil?

·
39,110 Posts
Do you have a tube feeding kit?

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,913 Posts
I was just wondering if it would be better to let his get rest and just give him electrolytes?
Drench him with vegetable oil. Start with 1/4 cup and if you don't see results in 10 minutes, give another 1/4 cup.

Baking soda is for acidosis, not bloat. It helps prevent bloat, not treat it

Take away all the grain. He's too young for it.
He won't need it for another 4-8 weeks.

Let him eat all the good dry hay he wants.

If he bloats again, stop giving the milk replacer and switch to whole milk from the grocery store unless you can get fresh cow or goat milk. Some lambs never do well on substitutes.

He won't need electrolytes unless he has diarrhea.
You don't have to buy them though:

Electrolyte Solution
1 Qt Water
½ tsp baking soda
1/4 cup Karo Syrup or Black strap molasses
½ tsp salt

It can also be mixed in milk

·
78,913 Posts
but can you give simethicone to sheep?
Yes you can.
It works well.
Most don't have it on hand but hardly anyone doesn't have some vegetable oil handy, and serious bloat needs to be treated immediately or they could die.

·
78,913 Posts
Do you think he will drink the oil from the bottle?
No, you need a drench gun or a large syringe without a needle to put it into his mouth.
He won't like it but it will give almost immediate relief.

You might be able to use a bottle if you enlarge the hole in the nipple and can squeeze it to force the liquid out, but it might be hard to keep it in his mouth.

A drench gun or a syringe with some tubing lets you put it on the back of the tongue to make sure it's swallowed.

Something like a turkey baster could work too.
Don't squirt it all at once though or he could choke on it.
The trick is to do it from the side of the mouth onto the back of the tongue.
You may need help holding him.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Drench him with vegetable oil. Start with 1/4 cup and if you don't see results in 10 minutes, give another 1/4 cup.

Baking soda is for acidosis, not bloat. It helps prevent bloat, not treat it

Take away all the grain. He's too young for it.
He won't need it for another 4-8 weeks.

Let him eat all the good dry hay he wants.

If he bloats again, stop giving the milk replacer and switch to whole milk from the grocery store unless you can get fresh cow or goat milk. Some lambs never do well on substitutes.

He won't need electrolytes unless he has diarrhea.
You don't have to buy them though:

Electrolyte Solution
1 Qt Water
½ tsp baking soda
1/4 cup Karo Syrup or Black strap molasses
½ tsp salt

It can also be mixed in milk
Thank you for the suggestion about putting him on whole cows milk. That has been the only thing that I have found that works to keep him from bloating. He ended up bloating after every feeding until I switched him to the whole milk.
Can I put half-and-half in it to increase the fat? What ratio do I need to use?
It is so good to see him playing and feeling good again.
Thank you so much for your help.

·
78,913 Posts
Can I put half-and-half in it to increase the fat?
You can do that or you can add a beaten egg.
The ratio of half and half can be whatever you like.

Here's another option:
"Make your own formula, if necessary.
If you cannot find milk replacer or colostrum replacer, you can make your own at home. It's recommended you try to find store bought brands first, as they're more likely to have the proper nutrients, so only resort to homemade products as a last resort.
  • Colostrum replacer can be made by mixing 740 milliliters of cow's milk, one beaten egg, a teaspoon of cod liver oil, and a teaspoon of glucose together.

• It can also be made with 600 milliliters of cow's milk, a teaspoon of castor oil, and one beaten egg.[3]

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm dealing with bloat in three of my orphans now. We were using dumor lamb milk replacer with no problem but switched over to a multi-species when we couldn't get the lambs milk. We're six days into the multi species when this happened. I've got storeys guide for meat goats and dairy goats. That one says use up to a cup of peanut or corn oil in an adult. No specifications on lambs though. Merck manual for this symptom is pretty confusing. What's a good volume for oil. Using a irrigation syringe with 4 inches of rubber tubing in leau of a drench gun.
Can I mix the oil with the milk replacer? I drove to the next town over and got two more bags of dumor lamb milk.

I'm going to try cold replacer until I can make the soured milk with the yogurt. My oldest orphan is just under 5 weeks and the other two are just over 3 weeks. Any thoughts?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts