Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4yo NZ doe, she's acting normal - running around, eating, drinking. Up until yesterday evening she was out in the colony so no way to confirm how much she's peeing & pooing. She tends to get a belly on her when pregnant (has aprox 8 or 9 4-wk-old kits running around the colony, normally has at least 7+) so I haven't been concerned thinking she was getting ready to kindle again. Yesterday her belly just looked bigger/different than usual so I caught her to check. She's bloated mid stomach, seems to be her stomach as it's pushing out from under her ribcage. Soft feeling, not hard but definitely not just a baby belly (to far forward for one thing). She's still acting normal, really doesn't even seem uncomfortable (was running all over the colony yesterday & just as hard to catch, I use a net now though so that makes it much easier/less stressful). The other bunnies don't seem affected. Not sure what to think/do but don't want to ignore it as I'd hate to lose her, she's a favorite. Is there anything I can feed to help settle her gut/stomach? Or as a laxative (although not really thinking it's an actual blockage since it came on slowly)?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well she kindled this morning, just peeked and there are at least 8-10 again. I've been giving her hay & just a little bit of pellets w/ some calf manna the last couple days. The bloat doesn't seem to be changing at this point & she's still acting normal and I'm able to confirm she's pooping fine. I'm starting to wonder if maybe the large litters are what causes it? She always seems to get a belly on her as she gets close to kindling. Maybe the tight space is causing reduced circulation? She's out of the colony & away from the buck so think I'll give her a break before the next litter & keep a close eye on what happens next time around...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts