Bloated Baby

Discussion in 'Goats' started by natybear, Dec 25, 2005.

1. natybear

natybear Well-Known Member

Christmas Eva is having issues!!!

And its not from milk, overeating, poison, or anything we can think of.

I found her yesterday and took her in. She had nursed her mother just a bit but last night she didn't want to or even respond when forced to, eat. She was a bit bloated and all day today she was bloated. We've tried everything to get her to poo and to release the gas. We've tried baking soda, mineral oil, corn oil, massaging, and everything else we could think of. Have you ever had a baby bloat without it being about the usual issues? I need some help, she isn't hurting but, its only a matter of time. Thanks

2. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

Even milk fed babies can get overeating. Most bloat in kids is overeating disease/enterotoxemia. If mom wasn't vaccinated or your vaccine did not work, it can happen. Here is how to treat.
    15cc pepto
    5cc penacillin orally
    5cc pen sub q
    5-7cc CD antitoxin sub q
    500 mg thiamin sub q
    Repeat the anti toxin later in the day with pepto. Give calf pac on day two.

3. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

I have no idea what to tell ya, i just want you to know that I will be praying for her, adn for you. Good Luck, please keep us updated, good luck, bye.

4. witchysharon

witchysharon Well-Known Member

Actually, the cause of the toxin is a bacterium called Clostridium perfringens type C or type D which is normally found in small numbers in the soil and in the intestinal tract of ruminants. Under certain conditions the organisms will reproduce a billionfold in the intestine and produce toxins in lethal quantities. This can happen when the diet is abruptly changed in any way….by eating lush pasture, cereal crops, heavy grain feeding or (in kids) access to a lot of milk.

Milk of Magnesia can be given to speed the elimination of pathogens from the body and should be used in conjunction with the following:

Banamine, which kills the pain and cuts inflammation created by the toxins as they do their damage to the gut walls (whatever else you do, do not substitute dexamethasone for Banamine, as it will shut down the immune system while reducing the inflammation!)

BoSe (Selenium/vitamin E) stimulates the body's own immune system so it can help itself to get better while you help it from outside

Penicillin does its part to help kill off the toxins, but is not strong enough to do that without the help of the C& D antitoxin (below)

Electrolytes keep up the body's natural chemical balance so it won't die of dehydration

Baking soda reverses the acidosis created by the toxins as they destroy the walls of the intestines

Pepto Bismol coats the intestinal walls to help protect them from further damage by the toxins.

The use of Probiotics and yeast cultures is also beneficial to help restore the normal flora (good bacteria) of the rumen.

C&D antitoxin provides immediate protection

http://www.pbsanimalhealth.com/cgi-...c/cdantitoxin.html?L+scstore+vmpj0383ffea29ea

Your vet can give the goat a yearly vaccine against enterotoxemia (over-eating disease) or you can do it yourself. You can buy the vaccine online from Jeffer’s or any number of other online livestock supply places.

http://www.pbsanimalhealth.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/sheepgoat/barvaccdt.html?E+scstore

Or you may locate it at your local feed store or Tractor Supply. You must vaccinate once initially, then give a booster at about a 6 week later, then they MUST be kept current with a yearly vaccine in order to remain protected.

If you get the CD&”T” the goat will also be vaccinated against Tetanus

5. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

Calf Pac is probiotics. We prefer not to wait 6 weeks inbetween initial and second vaccine. We go 21 days.
    We do not vaccinate kids until they are 12 weeks due to the fact that their little bodies don't recognize the antibodies from that source until that age. But that is just what we do...

6. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

natybear
    I'm so sorry to hear your having this type of problem with the baby goat. I have had a few problems like that but I have always gave mine baking soda then ok don't laugh at this but put them on my shoulder like a human baby an bounced them up and down and patted their back until they burped. That always worked for me but you might have another type of problem. I sure hope your baby goat gets doing better soon.

7. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

I forgot to add...the bismuth in pepto also acts as an antibiotic agent to fight bacteria in the gut.

8. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

I had really good luck with my young buck's bloat using olive oil. He was huge..I gave him about 10cc of it down his throat..an hour later he was noticeably "smaller".

Good luck!

9. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

Is your baby pooping? I have sometimes had to give them an enema. I do this by using a 5cc syringe without the needle and slowly inserting warm water into the rectum. This has cleared up the bloaty tummy and the babies started eating again. If the kid cannot poop, toxins will build up in her body. I also give the baby probios. Pepto is OK if the baby is pooping, but you don't want her to get more constipated.

10. natybear

natybear Well-Known Member

Sorry it took so long to write back, we took Eva on vacation with us. She is doing great and all is well!!! Thank you for all of your help, it was some of your ideas that I think did the trick, thanks again!

Happy New Year!

11. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm so glad to hear that your little Eva is doing better.