Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI!

One of my kinders looked a bit bloated tonight. I don't know why she would--there wasn't anything out of the ordinary. DH cut them some tree branches but no more than usual. The thing is, she looks bloated on her right side--not the rumen side. Can this still be bloat? The left side looks maybe a bit bigger but the right is noticable. When you tap it, it feels like there is a balloon in there. Not tight. The left doesn't feel that way.

I tried to get some baking soda/water paste down her--got a bit of it. She always has baking soda free choice.

Can someone describe exactly what bloat looks/feels like?

Dee

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
You sure she isn't pregnant? LOL

After goats feed, especially if more than usual (the tree branches) their stomach will distend outward, giving them a fat appearance. I always notice it after the does come in from grazing a lush pasture, or if they come in from stuffing their faces with hay. to know if a goat is bloated, tap on the left hand side. It would sound like a drum.

·
Premium Member
16,244 Posts
For future reference you might want to calibrate your ear by patting them daily so you know what normal sounds like.

Last summer I had a togg wether that looked bloated every single day but was fine. His sides would bulge upward and out.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I have an alpine buck that every time he goes out to graze he comes back looking like he swallowed a watermelon sideways. I have others that never get big (maybe he is eating all the food LOL) They are all different and it takes time to learn each ones make up, it pays to just sit an watch them, not only is it relaxing it is a learning experience)

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think she is pregnant...no Kinder bucks here. And we've owned her since Easter. She has always been bigger than the others--wider, I mean.
She is an older girl. She IS seven years old, after all. I think we all know how that goes...... :rolleyes:

I think she just ate more than usual, probably. She seems fine today. Eating well and acting normal. Her sides still stick out more than the others, but that's normal for her. No drum sound. I didn't think of that last night, but this morning she sounded normal.

I just wanted a quick check with you guys. Thanks for your help!

Dee

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.