BLM placer claims

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Zzyzxx, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Zzyzxx

Zzyzxx New Member

I've been researching this in depth for quite a while, I haven't called the BLM yet, someone who's willing to go through with the paperwork could make it work from what I've seen.

I've already been through the whole governmentland.com thing (not participating, the research that they're a hack job)

I've researched this site as well while waiting on my acct to be activated, and it appears that there are a small few who have done what I plan on attempting to do.

Currently I'm researching potential claims - anyone have any experience with this?

Comments/Suggestions/"You're a friggin retard" etc are all welcome.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2004/11/17/state1913EST7555.DTL

http://www.casperstartribune.net/ar...regional/a4d3e959be6a51c687256f5000744e43.txt

I've been considering looking for someone to assist with the claim as well. I plan on actually attempting to pan any claim I make.

2. MrPG

MrPG Well-Known Member

3. norris

norris Well-Known Member

When you buy a patented mining claim, you get actual title to the land. when you get an unpatented mining claim, you get something like a lease with all sorts of stipulations. An unpatented claim is not really suitable for a homestead.

4. longrider

longrider Southern Gent

try the Alaska Gold Forum, they have all the links and people who do these claims every year. I know a couple of guys there and they are good folk.

however, they can be touchy about their Trappers forum, a lot of PETA folks try to troll there. but you will have no problem talking in the homestead or gold forums.

5. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

My understanding is that you end up with more of a lease (for lack of a proper term) than an ownership, and the lease has so many clauses that it becomes more hassle than just spending real money & buying your own place and forgetting this mine claim deal.

Doesn't mean you shouldn't try, just - that's my understanding of it.

--->Paul

6. texican

texican Well-Known Member

Question?
    Have you found gold?

?
    ?
    ?

Any place where there might be or probably does have gold in a stream...is probably already claimed... be real careful, can be dangerous wandering around someone else's potential gold diggings...

find gold first
    file claim
    spend thousands upon thousands of dollars
    ...and make sure there is gold there, cause they will check, very carefully, all at Your Expense...

the parcel of land you get patented will cost you many multiples of similar land elsewhere....once again, if there is actually gold there....

my background... USForest Service and USNational Park Service, in areas where there was actual mining taking place...of course, these were people mining for gold, not trying to get land...they didn't want the land, just the gold

you have filing fees, permit fees, yearly lease fees, geologist fees, archaeologist fees, earthmoving fees (only way you can keep your lease active is show a legal receipt for work done...by backhoe, trackhoe, or dozer...80$/hr, plus hauling fees), and if you actually do get a permit, you have to post bonds, in excess of potential cleanup costs,,,,....I could go on....