Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start by saying that I know youre not doctors, I just want to know if anyone else has had this problem..

A couple of months ago I put hay in the barn and a few days later noticed some "burn" looking spots on my palms. I didn't pay too much attention, figureing what ever it is, would go away. After a couple of weeks they were almost like blisters, just under the skin, and very painful. Finally went to a dermatologist and he said it could be a type of virus that while rare, could happen, from the hay. Gave me a weeks worth of steroids, the spots cleared up, mostly. I went back in 30 days and had a few new ones, he told me to use a cream that was a steroid and if it wasn't better in a month, he's do a biopsy !!
Well, I have them on the tips of 7 of my fingers and both thumbs, plus a couple in my palms...they are under the skin, and really have me puzzled. Has anyone else had something like this? I use the cream twice a day, but it's barely keeping it in check.

·
Premium Member
23,635 Posts
Are you wearing gloves when you handle the hay?

I would get the biopsy. The only reaction I ever had was when those thistle spines would break off under the skin. Never heard of a virus from hay, I would be concerned it wasn't safe for the animals to eat. Do you have a local college with an agriculture department? If so you could contact them or your local extension office to see if they have heard of anything like it.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,480 Posts
What chemicals were used in that hay field?

Reactions: crehberg

·
Registered
30,740 Posts
Have the biopsy. You may need a more aggressive round of oral corticoidsteriods, and maybe an antibiotic if there is a secondary bacterial infection. No way to know without a biopsy of the pathogen tho.

It sounds exactly like giant hogweed symptoms, but it's not known in your area. That's nasty stuff.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Let me start by saying that I know youre not doctors, ...
Maybe some of us are...

Dermatology is the easiest specialty: first you prescribe anti-fungals. If that doesn't work, you prescribe steroids...Nether works very well, but nobody dies. They just keep on coming back. $$$$

Presumably you were grabbing the bales by the binding twine, not actually having much contact of palms to hay-- look for either a purely traumatic cause (rubbing) vs an allergic cause....I'm not a dermatologist, but have never heard of a viral cause of palmar rash.., Keep in mind that doctors used to blame Evil Spirits for things they didn't know about. Today they blame viruses. Same difference.

Palmar rashes are only seen in Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and Syphilis. We will be polite and not ask any personal questions here.[/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe some of us are...

Dermatology is the easiest specialty: first you prescribe anti-fungals. If that doesn't work, you prescribe steroids...Nether works very well, but nobody dies. They just keep on coming back. $$$$

Presumably you were grabbing the bales by the binding twine, not actually having much contact of palms to hay-- look for either a purely traumatic cause (rubbing) vs an allergic cause....I'm not a dermatologist, but have never heard of a viral cause of palmar rash.., Keep in mind that doctors used to blame Evil Spirits for things they didn't know about. Today they blame viruses. Same difference.

Palmar rashes are only seen in Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and Syphilis. We will be polite and not ask any personal questions here.
[/QUOTE]
Well, I'll start with, thank you for responding.. The hay was two years old, but has been kept in the barn, has some mold in it. Baled off my field, no spray used. I was cleaning it out of the barn, getting it ready for new bales. I wasn't wearing gloves. Dr said it was "rare" but that there was a fungus from hay. It's not blisters, exactly, they are under the skin, pushing up. It looks like a burn, but is under the surface. If I can figure out how, I'll try to get a picture, but it's kinda hard to see. No, I haven't had either diseases you mentioned, .I'm really at a loss as to what to do next, it's got me worried, a little bit.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have the biopsy. You may need a more aggressive round of oral corticoidsteriods, and maybe an antibiotic if there is a secondary bacterial infection. No way to know without a biopsy of the pathogen tho.

It sounds exactly like giant hogweed symptoms, but it's not known in your area. That's nasty stuff.
I'm not real sure what the Hogweed is, don't think we have it, tho. I guess maybe I'll get a 2nd opinion, before I go with a biopsy.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you wearing gloves when you handle the hay?

I would get the biopsy. The only reaction I ever had was when those thistle spines would break off under the skin. Never heard of a virus from hay, I would be concerned it wasn't safe for the animals to eat. Do you have a local college with an agriculture department? If so you could contact them or your local extension office to see if they have heard of anything like it.
I usually wear gloves, but was just cleaning out the old hay, getting ready for the New stuff. The hay is off my farm, no spray, Bermuda with prairie grasses, clover and yellow hop. It had some mold in it.
I may talk to my extension agent, maybe he's heard of it, thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,480 Posts
Contact dermatitis from mold.

Reactions: copperhead46

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I'll start with, thank you for responding.. The hay was two years old, but has been kept in the barn, has some mold in it. Baled off my field, no spray used. I was cleaning it out of the barn, getting it ready for new bales. I wasn't wearing gloves. Dr said it was "rare" but that there was a fungus from hay. It's not blisters, exactly, they are under the skin, pushing up. It looks like a burn, but is under the surface. If I can figure out how, I'll try to get a picture, but it's kinda hard to see. No, I haven't had either diseases you mentioned, .I'm really at a loss as to what to do next, it's got me worried, a little bit.
[/QUOTE]

Ok. I've taken some pictures, it's hard to take a picture of your own hand, by the way
[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]
I got some pictures, it's hard to take a picture of your own hand ;)
They don't show up very well, but itll give you an idea of what it looks like
20200803_080631.jpg
20200803_080631.jpg 20200803_080812.jpg
20200803_080631.jpg 20200803_080812.jpg 20200803_080914.jpg

·
Registered
626 Posts
The picture of the back of your hands, in particular, looks like bug bites rather than contact dermatitis, mold or allergy. No-See-Ums.....The finger tips/palms pictures make me think of grabbing plants like Golden Rod that have microscopic barbs. My hands will burn for a day or two until that outer layer of skin with the barbs is shed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Contact dermatitis from mold.

View attachment 89919
Is it itchy? Wake you up scratching against something?

Looks like the contact dermatitis I had before I started using a steroid for outbreaks. After a couple weeks the 'blisters' or bumps, would start weeping, my fingers swollen like sausages. Dermatologist gave me Diflorasone Diacetate Ointment 0.05% - cleared it up quickly. BUT, she also recommended allergy test to see what the heck caused me to break out.....and it would happen quickly. I learned very fast what I could touch and what was a nono.

Yours may very well be something quite different - but just in case, figured I'd chime in.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The picture of the back of your hands, in particular, looks like bug bites rather than contact dermatitis, mold or allergy. No-See-Ums.....The finger tips/palms pictures make me think of grabbing plants like Golden Rod that have microscopic barbs. My hands will burn for a day or two until that outer layer of skin with the barbs is shed.
Not sure which ones you think are bug bites, but, these spots are all under the skin, it's not bites. These come up at random times, below the skin, and are sore to touch. They dont itch, but are painful .. I'm looking for another Dermatologist, I'll post if someone figures it out.
Thank you

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I've had the same thing on my fingers. After a while the bumps form a small fluid filled spot. I finally figured out it was from me working in the dirt without gloves on. I rarely have it happen anymore since I started wearing gloves when outdoors.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just throwing this out there. Chilblains? Usually chilblains are caused by the cold and affect the feet, but can affect the hands and be caused by a virus. It’s a symptom of COVID, so much so that the term “COVID toes” has been recently coined. Since the doctor suggested a virus, I figure COVID and chilblains was a possibility.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts