Blister popped on heel, best way to heal?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by longshadowfarms, Dec 30, 2006.

1. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

I was out walking the other day and started getting a sore heel a mile away from home. By the time I got home it had blistered and popped. There was a hole in the heel of my sock which I think was the problem. Anyway, the question is what is the best way to get this thing to heal quickly? Leave it open as much as possible? Cover it and use some polysporin on it? I'd like to get back to my walking routine ASAP. The dog likes to practically run the whole way so I can't dilly-dally. ;)

2. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

Mix some polysporin with a tiny amt of tea tree oil and cover it for today. Then let it air dry. Try to walk with open shoes like mules for a few days or wear 3 pr of socks.

3. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Well-Known Member

use antibiotic ointment on wound then get some moleskin... cut a doughnut hole in middle slightly larger than blister and attach to foot over the blister.. then cover area with napkin then duct tape the area (napkin or tissue to protect wound from ducttape)
    this way you wont be rubbing on the raw skin when u walk...

let the ducttape come off in the shower then reapply if needed after dry'n

this is how the long distance backpackers do it

4. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Moleskin doughnut to protect it if you have to wear shoes, open the rest of the time. I only use the anitibiotic cream on the first day and then let ir dry out.

5. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

Pure vitamin E oil will heal it almost overnight. Don't add anything else to dilute the oil. If you put the antibiotic on before or with the oil, then the oil won't work. It has to be used alone or with emu oil, nothing else. Slather on lots of the oil and cover to keep the oil from rubbing off. I mean really slather it on as thick as possible until it runs off. Then put more oil on the bandage and slap it over the blister.

6. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

Whatever you do, don't take off the skin right away. Let it toughen up underneath and the blister skin dry up some. It will take a lot longer to heal if you pull the skin off too soon.

7. Farmerwilly2

Farmerwilly2 Well-Known Member

Time will take care of it. clean it before you put you footgear on, clean it after you take it off. I think most times a foot blister is fine in a day or two. That's why they always had you stomping your feet on the ground in basic training, get them popped and let your foot heal up. I can't remember the last time I had one on my feet.

8. diane

diane Well-Known Member

I have had great results with cleaning very well with antiseptic and then using that liquid bandaid stuff.

9. longshadowfarms

Thanks for all the ideas! I can wear open-backed slippers during the day but when I take the dog for a "walk" running shoes are required! This is Carter, the wild man Pyr. We ran at least 1/3 of today's long distance trek. It is cool and he's feeling his oats! :baby04:

I have Vit E but no moleskin. I suspect by the time I could get moleskin it will be healed up but it might be good to get some to keep on hand so I put it on my shopping list. Today I just used a heavy bandaid and kept my foot to the front of the shoe. Too late to try to keep the skin intact. It was already gone when I got home yesterday. :rolleyes:

10. frazzlehead

frazzlehead AppleJackCreek Supporter

Check out the drugstore and see if you can find the bandages specifically made for blisters: they work great!

11. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Blisters turn into calluses.If your shoes cause a blister in only a mile, there is something wrong with your shoes or your socks.You need to break the shoes or boots in better or get different socks.

12. longshadowfarms

Yes, there was. As mentioned in the first post, there was a hole in my sock. I threw it out.