Blister beetles on the clematis....

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Mutti, Aug 21, 2004.

1. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

at least this is what my DH calls them....the last three years they or their progeny have destoyed my autumn clematis...gets to the blooming stage and then all of a sudden the whole thing is stubs...this year I tried Neem on them,sprayed thoroughly three times and these are huge vines that run 8-10' down our fence....still chawed to death. Any suggestions? Prefer organic methods but geting desperate. We pruned them back last year and burned all the foilage to see if that would help but apparently not! DEE

2. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

3. Manny

Manny Well-Known Member

Bite the bullet and save your clematis-------dust with "Sevin".

4. southerngurl

Why? The pyola works perfectly, and it is organic.

5. Manny

Manny Well-Known Member

Cost, availability, effectiveness----pyola's main ingredient is canola oil with a little bit of pyrethrins----kills primarily by smothering the critters. It's probably OK for stationary pests, white fly larva and aphids, but for blister beetles not so good. Buy some canola oil at the grocery store and add a little soap----it will save you about $18 plus shipping. Sevin will even get the buggers that haven't arrived yet as soon as they start munching. Last year I had a big infestation on my clematis and also my tomatoes------one application of sevin killed thousands and there was no re-infestation. This year-----not one blister beetle.
    Riding a donkey is organic, driving a truck is not.

6. southerngurl

Yea, I know, I like horses. :D

Anyway, she was asking about something organic, if it is available, why not? I do not remember the cost of pyola, I bought it 1 or 2 years ago. You use very little at a time. It kills my blister beetles. Also, it is not just canola oil, it contains pyrethrins.