blinded my ram

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by catahoula, Jul 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. catahoula

catahoula Well-Known Member

Yesterday my ram rubbed off one of his horns, I thought it would be a good idea to put a little iodine on the wound. Rather than daubing the wound with a rag soaked in iodine I just poured what I thought was a capfull over the wound, the iodine rolled over the wound and straight into his eye causing his eye to sort of cloud over. I can't even imagine how much that must have burned, I ran up to the house and got some bottled water to flush his eye with, but I think it was too late. This morning his eye was no longer cloudy, it was a little puffy and weeping a great deal, but I think he will pull through with minimal damage, at least I hope so. Has anyone else had an experience such as this?

2. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Well-Known Member

Ouch.
    I've never experienced something like this happening, but I hope he pulls through okay. I think the fact that the eye is no longer cloudy is a good sign.

Good luck to you and your ram!

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Same here but live and learn. Some tetracylcine mght ward off and errant diseaes lookign to take advantage.

4. Terry W

Terry W Duchess of Cynicism

ithought from the title you had purchased one of those ram blinds, and was wondering how it worked out for you--

when corneas get cloudy, and then clear up-- they are usually going to be okay. I keep a bottle of saline solution in my "vet kit" for rinsing-- everything from eyes and ears to wounds of all sorts.

eyes are one of the fastest healing body tissues there is. They are right there with stomach linings--

So, has the ram forgiven you, and how is his vision?

5. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

we keep a purple pink eye spray around for wounds close too the head as well as the eye . also a great marker spray! last long and does not blind them if it gets in their eyes!hope he heals up ok though if one of ours the horns would be on the ground ,hurt worse when they hit you!

6. catahoula

catahoula Well-Known Member

Mr. Ram is doing better today for sure. He is still squinting a bit but the eye isn't weeping any more and it isn't very puffy, it probably feels or felt like snow blindness, pretty unpleasant. Leave it to me to turn something as simple as cleaning a wound into cruel and unusual punishment. Old Mr. Ram is a little standoffish but he has always been that way. He will eat grain out of my hand but, if I go to grab him he figures it's time to leave the ewes or time to have his hooves trimmed, time for his shots, time for a squirt of dewormer. Hmmm now that I write it out like that, he really has no reason to trust me at all. "Come here Mr. Ram, it's time to pour some iodine in your eye." Live and learn, thanks guys.

7. Terry W

Terry W Duchess of Cynicism

Oh, he and my Ernie wether should get together-- my poor Ernie--I grab his leg yesterday and commnce a scrubbing, then I bring some STRANGER along, who stickes a large bore needle into him, and then holds him solid while I make a poultice and put it on/in his foot!! No wonder sheep are so flighty-- we have nothing better to do withthem than torture them-- then we turn 'em into roasts and chops!!! What hapens to us if they decide to mutiny?

8. livestockmom

livestockmom Well-Known Member

oooh, poor guy. Yep, unfortunately, I DO have experience. I took goat kids in to be dibudded a few years ago, and the vet tech poored iodine on there heads preparing for the vet to disbud them...a trail of iodine went straight to their eyes...they did the same thing with the addition of screaming how goat kids can (LOUD! :) ) we rinsed the eyes as well but they still swelled terribly, clouded over, ran and weeped, and then cleared right up with no hard feelings. Your guy will be just fine too...I just wish they understood we ARE trying to help them :p

9. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

No offense, Livestockmom, but if you poured iodine in my eyes, I don't think, I would think, you were trying to help me!! :)

Poor babies... I know that must have hurt.. Hope he is alright now...QB

10. livestockmom

QueenBee...I wasnt trying to help them by pouring iodine in their eyes...
    THE VET TECHS scrubbed their heads before disbudding and a trail went right toward their eyes and they swelled, very painful...
    cleaning and disinfecting an area to be worked on, flushing and washing when a mistake is made is "helping" an animal...
    Why would anyone poor iodine in an animals eyes to "help" them?
    Sheesh...couldnt you tell this wasnt something someone would do on purpose?
    Students learn and make mistakes.

11. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    I can tell you what happened on the basis of what would have happened in a human.

The irritating iodine on the cornea caused it to 'swell', cornea-style. The excess fluid mixed into the normally clear matrix of proteins is what caused the cloudiness. It is possible that some of the surface cells of the cornea were killed, in which case this is like a corneal abrasion.

Since the iodine itself is long gone, you probably will want to look up 'corneal abrasion' in any veterinary references you have and treat the goat for that until you can get a vet to check for more serious damage.

Anything that can go wrong will, eh?

PS: corneal abrasions are painful. They feel like you have something stuck in your eye--when in truth whatever caused the abrasion is long gone. So anything you have that is goat safe to comfort eyes--like saline solution for contacts--would probably make the goat feel a bit more comfortable.

12. Ross

Livestockmom I think QB just worded that a bit awkwardly, as in no matter what you do afterwards the animals isn't going to think you're trying to help (although you are helping to correct the problem) after the initial mistake happens!

13. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, have had this happen with a goat years ago. She did survive and the eye totally healed in a few days. And yes, I felt terrible. :)

14. Queen Bee

Thanks Ross, that is just what I meant!! Livestockmom, I know that no one would do something like that on purpose.. Sorry, that you misunderstood my post... QB

15. Somerhill

Somerhill Well-Known Member

:) Don't worry Queen Bee - I could tell that you were joking. You did use a smiley. :p

Lisa at Somerhill

16. livestockmom

Yes, Lisa, A smiley always makes a jab funny... :p

17. Ross

18. Queen Bee

Look, I said my apologies. I never meant to hurt anyone, make a jab at anyone or anything they have done.. period-- If you take something the wrong way and I explain my REAL point... Is it my fault??? NO...

19. Ross

Very charitable all round, I reiterate, check out the link offered., I'm sure you all have better things to do than post here so I'll just shut off the lights and lock the door. Have a good week all!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.