Blind Calf For a Milk Cow???

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Ken Scharabok, Jan 17, 2004.

1. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Neighbor came by last evening to borrow some milk replacer. He found a heifer calf about three days old which is obviously blind. Doesn't know if it suckled, but assumption is it didn't. Out of a large red Hereford-cross cow with a nice bag and smallish tits. Sire is a Romanoa (sp?) who throws nice calves. Calf took a bottle this morning and seems reasonably healthy. His mother wants to bottle feed it, but it really doesn't have a future on their farm.

Anyone potentially interested in it as maybe a milk cow in the future? Located near Waverly, TN (West-central TN on east side of KY Lake).

Ken S. in WC TN

2. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I wouldn't write that calf off. I'd be more concerned about the lack of colostrum than it being blind.

I've had blind cows and they did fine. They learn their way around and they learn to follow the herd. With a calf, I'd make sure it was slowly introduced to it's surroundings, so it could learn where the fences are, etc. but it would be ok in the long run.

I also wouldn't sneak up on it. Talk when you approach.

I'd take it if I was closer and had the time.

Jena

3. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Eddie said they once had a blind cow. She did follow the herd. However, one day the herd moved off on her apparently up in the woods and she likely died of dehydration walking in a circle.

Ken S. in WC TN

4. I had a blind beef calf and it was sad. He ran into barbed wire fencing and was hurting himself. The mother would find him to nurse. I gave it to a friend who raised it for a slaughter calf. He put a halter on the calf and ran a wire above head level and attached a clip on the wire to allow the animal to follow the wire up and down the pen. At one end of the wire was water, the other feed. Eventually learned his way around the small pen so the wire could be dropped.

John Texas